Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about cause and hope after laser

Hi!

1. Why do laser operations sometimes lead to dry eye symptoms? Does it change the production? Does it change the draining? Why is there a link between them?

2. Is the phakic-lens implant surgery also associated with dry eyes?

3. Is there hope of dry eyes symptoms getting better months or even years after laser surgery? How long is the healing process and is this associated with dry eyes. Is there hope?

Thanks,

Desert Cry

Desert Cry

I don't know what the exact link between laser eye surgery and dry eye but there is definate a link and countless studies confirm the link.

Some of the studies suggest that damage to the corneal nerves during the procedure cause the dryness. Some suggest that the trauma to the eye destabilises the tear film and it take some time to restore it. A significant amount of documentation suggests that ALL patients experience SOME FORM of dryness post op, the variable is the severity and duration vary with each patient.

On the issue you raised about hope, there is always hope, after all that is what keeps most of us going from day to day otherwise we would have thrown in the towel by now. I live every day of my life in hope - hope that I wake up tomorrow and get to spend another day on this earth, hope that someday soon, we will all find the solution we are looking for to make our dry eyes more manageable. My view is every day we get to spend above ground has to be a good day with or without dry eyes - some of the days are just better than others.

From my experience as a refractive surgery patient, I can confirm that things do get better and have gotten better for me. I am certainly not at a point where I was prior to surgery but I am also no longer using artificial tears every 15 mintues like I was in the first 6-12 months post op.

I am now two years down the line and life has certainly become more bearable again, I still have my bad days but I also have some good ones as well and can only HOPE that things will continue to improve for those of us with laser induced dryness.

As far as your second question goes, I will leave that for someone else to pick up.

Hope this helps

Ian

Comment

My view is every day we get to spend above ground has to be a good day with or without dry eyes - some of the days are just better than others.

Ian,

Thanks for your words. Thanks for your hope that things may get better. I´m about 11 months post PRK and have dry eyes. The laser center tells me that it has nothing to do with the surgery but that I naturally have less tears. hmmm, that´s something they decided not to tell me before hand

But there is no way back, because time only goes forward. Regretting the decission won´t do anything to help.

Desert Cry

Comment

Desert Cry,

There is definitely hope for you. Things may never quite be the way they once were, but they'll be better. Corneal nerve healing can take time...yes, years perhaps. It is unfortunate none of us truly understood what the risk of dry eye meant prior to our surgeries.

But things are what they are for us, and we move forward differently now. We find an eye regimen that improves our comfort. Spend time on this bulletin board and find out what people are doing (supplements, plugs, goggles, warm compresses, Restasis, Dwelle, Dakrina, Nutratear...)

I do hope you have a good doctor...and not a doctor who performs refractive surgery. If the PRK facility is leading you to believe the dry eye is not related to the surgery, you shouldn't be going there. Please find someone who is understanding and helpful.

Your psyche and your eyes will improve with time. My best to you.

D
        Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
        X