Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blepharoplasty and Floppy Eyelid Syndrome

Hi there,

My eye doctor has said I have Floppy Eyelid Syndrome and I am due to have a Blepharoplasty in two weeks (this involves removing skin around the eye).
    I trust him and "he knows best" but I can't help feeling that the floppy eyelids are a symptom (from years of tugging and pulling at the skin) rather than a cause of my dry eye and am worried that tightening the skin around the eye will just increase the "foreign body" sensation that seems to be a part of my dry eye.

Just wondering has anyone any advice or experience of the procedure. - Did it take long to recover and was there any lessening of dry eye as a result?
    Any risks associated?

Best wishes,

- Seamus

Originally posted by Seamus View Post
    Any risks associated?
    Hate to have to bring this up but... dry eye and nocturnal lagophthalmos (eyelids not closing at night) are both risks associated with blepharoplasty. I'd say apprx. 5% of the people who call us for tranquileyes goggles do so because of blepharoplasty, whether they got it for cosmetic or medical reasons.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for that - and don't worry - I need to know what to expect. My doc reckoned the loose/excess skin was contributing to my dry eye. I would hate to think that removing it could make my dry eye actually worse.
      My eye(s) are already very dry in the morning as it is.
      I presume it is not reversible? I suppose it is a risk I will have to take.

Thanks,

- Seamus

Comment

Working...
      X