So upset...just found out my cousin had LASIK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So upset...just found out my cousin had LASIK

the other day and she has had dry eyes for years, hasn't been able to wear her contacts much lately, plus has glaucoma! Apparently a few hours after she had been home she was in excruciating pain, called her surgeon, and he met her at the emergency room. The doctor sounded "very scared" and gave her some drops (my Aunt didn't know what they were) and told her to use them every hour. So...I am saying many prayers that my cousin recovers well and doesn't have to endure the pain and problems that so many here have had to due to that surgery. Considering all that has happened so far though it's not sounding good to me. I wish my Aunt had told me ahead of time that my cousin was going to do this and knowing all of the problems she already had with her eyes, I would have referred her to this site. Thanks for letting me vent.

I am sorry to hear this. Setting aside dry eye for a moment, I thought glaucoma was normally a disqualifier for LASIK. Anyway I wish your cousin the very best for a speedy and full recovery.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Alison,

The story of your cousin sickens me. My best to her and her future.

Diana
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Alison

I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. I will be thinking of her and please keep us updated as to her recovery.

I know that right now your first concern is for your cousin and her eyes as it should be. But when you and she have recovered from both this physical and emotional trauma (it's a huge shock to go through something like this after a surgery that's supposed to make your life easier), please report this to the FDA.

All my good wishes for a fast recovery. Please tell your cousin that there is a whole group of us pulling for her.

Natalie

Comment

Thanks so much...

for all your thoughts and concern. I will definitely let her know you are all pulling for her. I haven't heard anything new yet but will update on her recovery, and if need be, will introduce her to this site. If she does not recover completely, I will absolutely have her share her experience with the FDA.

Alison

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
            I am sorry to hear this. Setting aside dry eye for a moment, I thought glaucoma was normally a disqualifier for LASIK. Anyway I wish your cousin the very best for a speedy and full recovery.
            It sure used to be. I work as a medical malpractice claims rep and had many Lasik claims when Lasik first came out. One of my insureds, a Lasik company owner, was deposed. He wears glasses. He was asked why he hadn't had Lasik. He said it was because he had glaucoma and that disqualified him for the procedure. If glaucoma is still a disqualifier, I would be looking far beyond the FDA for some sort of remedy.
            Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Someone should severly punish the surgeon who made the decision to go through with the surgery.. My best wishes to your cousin.

Comment

Originally posted by kitty View Post
                He said it was because he had glaucoma and that disqualified him for the procedure. If glaucoma is still a disqualifier, I would be looking far beyond the FDA for some sort of remedy.
                One of the problems with LASIK is that there are hardly any "absolute" contraindications (disqualifiers) that all doctors would agree upon as such, other than being under age 18, broke or deceased. There is always something in the literature where someone has shown you can do it under X circumstances and then no one will stand up and assert that you can't laser someone with that disease. I was just looking into the same problem about about nystagmus. We have someone on D'Eyealogues who had hyperopia and mixed astigmatism and nystagmus, and saw quite poorly even with glasses, and got PRK. To be fair it sounded like the doctor said the best he could hope for was vision almost as good as he had with glasses. So I was looking it up and it seems nystagmus used to be an absolute contraindication... but with tracking lasers and such, now they are trying it on some people... etc.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                X