article on LASIK complications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• article on LASIK complications

If anyone speaks french, here's an article in a local Montreal paper about LASIK side-effects. I'm quoted, but they say I am both a professor at Duke University and a post-doc at McGill (I am not the Wendy Wood from Duke University!)

http://lapresseaffaires.cyberpresse....TUEL/805180560

And just a note: I have had more and more reporters contact me re: LASIK side effects. So it's nice to know the word is getting out on the dangers of LASIK.

Dr. W., although I can't read French, thanks for the article. If not for Lasik (Rebecca's in particular) there would be no Dry Eye Zone or the sister website LaserMyEye.org. This forum is full of post lasik dry eye patients. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I agree

i never knew what dry eye wasunl I had Lasik 5 weeks ago...I am so glad I found this site.

I believe though it is now my duty to get the word on the street that this is not just a "simple" and "harmless" procedure....my one eye in an eye patch is getting the ball rolling, and people are so shocked to hear that that there are people hurting because of Lasik

Comment

My "fractured French" effort at a partial translation into English

Hello again, Dr. W, and thank you!

I am so impressed that you choose to be a spokesperson on these matters.
        For the English speakers on this website, here is my best effort to translate the start of the article and the end of the article.
        For anyone with better linguistic skills, please do not hesitate to correct/improve on my effort.

==============================================

Sophie Allard write an article entitled “Lasik Eye Surgery: the Other Side of the Coin”

Published on May 18, 2008

The subheading says: "Lasik: a procedure with long-term results that are unknown"

The main heading in boldface says: “In Quebec, there are approximately 60,000 Lasik operations per year. Although most patients are generally satisfied, the experience is less happy for a minority. For approximately 100 to 600 residents of Quebec per year, the complications are serious enough to harm their quality of life. Moreover, the unlucky persons live a true nightmare.”

. . . The article concludes with a quote from Dr. David Hartzok: David Hartzok states: “There are also patients, misunderstood and even blamed, who are considered foolish and who suffer in silence. How many are there? No one knows.”

< A personal note: although his name is mis-spelled in the article, Dr. Hartzok of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, USA, is one of my personal post-Lasik heroes. / mkbadami>

Comment

Lucy: Thanks for your response--I do refer many people with LASIK induced dry eye (and those with dry eye due to other causes) to this site--it's the most comprehensive site that I've found to date!

Mary: Thanks for your kind words. Je suis en train d'apprendre le francais--n'est pas facile! Votre traduction etiez vraiment bonne!

Comment

Originally posted by mary kenny badami View Post
            < A personal note: although his name is mis-spelled in the article, Dr. Hartzok of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, USA, is one of my personal post-Lasik heroes. / mkbadami>
            Some of you have likely seen an interview that Dr. Hartzok recently gave. If not, I have attached the links here ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qJx6kR8jBGs

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LCBqlTjCFUo

P.S. Thank you Dr. W for the link to the article. Based on the translation from Mary (thanks Mary it looks like it did a pretty good job of reporting the non-marketing story of LASIK. However, the story significantly underreported the % of patients whose quality of life is negatively impacted by a poor LASIK outcome based on complication %'s within the FDA's own clinical trials.

Comment

Today's one-paragraph effort at French-to-English translation

. . . as before, if someone is capable of making a more accurate translation, I invite your comments and corrections.

Dr. Wood told us in her original post that she's currently working at McGill University in Canada, not at Duke University in the USA, but I reproduce below my best English translation of this part of the article as it originally appeared.

Wendy Wood, professor of social psychology and neurosciences at Duke University <sic>, is not surprised.

“Research has shown that moderate or severe dry eye syndrome affects quality of life, having an impact on driving a car, working, and reading. Like other conditions of chronic pain, dry eye syndrome may contribute to psychological disorders, such as depression and anxiety.”

In a post-doctoral assignment at McGill University, Ms. Wood is recruiting people with dry eye syndrome, induced by Lasik or other conditions, for a study. (wendy.wood@mail.mcgill.ca)

From Mary to Dr. Wood:
              Merci, merci infiniment de votre mots aimables.

Comment

Dr Michael Dodd

Did someone whack Dr Michael Dodd? He has a plaster on his coupon - one of the 5%?
                Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

brd888... um, what on earth are you talking about?
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                  X