Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lasik Flap question. How durable are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasik Flap question. How durable are they?

I had lasik February 1st and had a flap revision February 2nd, I ended up with some wrinkles as I woke up with my eye guards stuck to my mattress at 4am. I must have removed them and rubbed my eyes in the middle of the night. According to my eye doctor the flap is doing fine and apparently has no issues. My lasik surgeon just told me to do my best to try and forget about my surgery. Just to live my life normally. I like the advise but I have dry eye as a constant reminder of my Lasik procedure. Though my dry eye has significantly improved, it is annoying but tolerable.

I am 4 months post op and I do not touch my eyes at all. I only touch them when I shower to wash my lids gently with a very soft baby wash cloth & antibacterial soap. I only wipe my eyelids from up to down and I am so insanely gentle with them. I am just wondering when can I vigorously scrub my face again while showering? What about wiping sweat from my brow? I always approach my eye area with great caution now as I do not want to disturb that flap. I am a fairly active person who enjoys snowboarding, mountain biking, and occasionally I throw myself out of an airplane just to allow me to feel really alive. I kind of regret not doing more research as I may have just stuck with contacts. However my eyesight is very good now and my dry eye seems to be improving. So as far as the refractive surgery has gone I wish that I would have gotten, Lasek, Epi-Lasik, or Prk so as to not have the flap to worry about. So how durable are these flaps? Can I skydive with these as long as proper eye protection is worn? I know that the military has done a lot of research and many soldiers including those in the special forces have had refractive surery. I guess that can be an indication of flap durability?

Different types of refractive surgery are ALLOWED in the different divisions of the military and units within each division. I am aware of some flaps that have lifted by a surgeon 11 years out. Keep in mind your cornea does not have blood vessels and make up of skin or muscle tissue so it is a different healing than skin that grows back to together.

Comment

Working...
    X