Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do TBUT and Schirmers tests apply to dry eye post Lasik

A little background first.

So I am 9 weeks post Lasik in one eye and have severe dry eye in that eye. I had RCE for three weeks but the bandage contact lens has helped prevent any more (another surgeon at the practice put this in as my surgeon was off that day). My surgeon seems to believe systane drops are a magic potion and I have had to ask for tear plug one and then plug two. All changes to my diet and environment have come from this site or others.

So my question is about TBUT and the Schimer's test. When I asked at my last appointment about testing to see if it was the quality or quantity of my tears that was wrong he said he already knew. That the Lasik had severed the nerves and therefore it was my reflex tear production that was no longer functioning properly.

I did not have either of these tests before the Lasik, and only heard of them through this site, and read then on the FDA site that a surgeon SHOULD perform the Schirmer test prior to Lasik, though I understand that the reliabilty of the Schirmer's test is open to question...whats done is done on that one though.

So my question to you is....should I be insisting and expecting him to do these tests on me so that I can track my progress, or lack thereof, or do these tests not apply to me as I am a post Lasik patient. I need to know where I stand on this as I need to be firm with him, because it is only because of me educating myself on this problem that I have got this far. And I have you people and this site to thank for that.

thanks for your help.
    Last edited by bernmee; 28-Jun-2008, 11:22. Reason: more info

My surgeon did not perform any dry eye tests pre surgery. I think he mostly went by what he saw and what I told him ( I didn't think I had any dry eye issues pre lasik) Since then I did have one Schimers test that a second doctor did on me. At that time I was a 2 in one eye and a 3 in the other. Since then I haven't had one again. I track my progress by how my eyes feel. Now looking at my eyes my last doctor said my tear film looks perfectly normal. However I still have slight burning issues at times and being quadriplugged I have over tearing. I don't know if you should insist on these tests because I too have heard they aren't the most reliable. You can have perfect test results and your eyes can feel bad and so in that case the tests wouldn't indicate a thing really.

Comment

Thanks for that.

It is important to choose your battles in this Dry Eye thing.

Comment

Working...
      X