This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post LASIK dry eye

I had lasik 2 and 1/2 months ago, I had dry eyes from the minute my eyes were done, they were really bad first, it took hours of putting in drops just so I could see. My eyes were much better at month 2 but then I went back to work and the dust, dirt, wind and getting up early are making it much worst. I can live with it for now if I know it will end. I would really like to hear about how long it takes and how it progresses.

Hi Susant and welcome!

I believe the popular belief is that most lasik induced dry eye clears up with in the normal 6 month healing period. For some people it can take longer. Others like most of us here on the board are dealing with it for an extended period of time.

My surgery was 2 years ago next month and dry eyes are still an issue I must deal with. However I am GREATLY improved from where I was in the first 6 months to 1 year. Healing does take place and it tends to be slow for some.

Most of us here have developed routines that help us to manage our symptoms and increase our comfort levels.

Things I do to help me manage DES:

1. Stay away from artificial sweeteners!! (this is a hard one form me at times)
    2. Hot compresses 2x daily followed by lid massage.
    3. Punctal plugs in all 4 ducts (has produced some overtearing but I deal)
    4. Drink plenty of water
    5. Wear my panoptyx goggles in air conditioning and other irritating situations.
    6. Get enough sleep
    7. I am on a low carb/high fat diet that I think also has helped me.
    8. Avoid alcohol (another toughie! I loves my margaritas! )

Especially with lasik patients there is a great deal of hope that symptoms will improve over time. Dr. Latkany (get his book in the Dryeye Shop!) says that many of his patients who had lasik can take up to 5 years for their symptoms to resolve. That seems like a long time, but for any of us that are under that 5 year mark it can bring us a great deal of hope.

You have come to the right place! You are not alone! You will improve with time and once you find a routine that works for you!

Take care!

Comment

I was thinking the same thing today as I am having a really bad eye day. Funny, thats how I judge my days now. I am 8 weeks post Lasek and I am really perplexed because I seemed to have stopped producing any tears. Even with 4 plugs, I have no pooling.

I have never heard that about artificial sweeteners, does that mean any amount? Is one diet coke a day bad ya think?

Comment

I can only speak from my own experience. If I have a diet soda I can usually tell within a couple of days. I know some won't agree with that but it never fails for me so I try my best to steer clear of them. Even though I LOVE them

When I refrain from artificial sweetners my eyes seem way better most days.

Water is the best. If I am dying for one I will have a few sips of diet soda and then dump the can. Wasteful to be sure so I try not to do that either!!

It stinks cause I really do enjoy them, but I don't enjoy bad eye days so I try my best to behave!!

Comment

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=7022

Aboe is an excellent thread that explains dry eye. It isn't jus that you don't produce enough tears, but that the trears are evaporating because you are not producing enough oil to prevent that evaporation.

I have a schirmers result of 30mm, am plugged top and bottom but still have dry eye. This is because I have MGD. According to the Dr. in the youtube video lack of oils is to account for 70% or dry eye.

I don't drink sodas. Usually I drink iced mint tea to help my liver function, or water if I don't have the tea at hand.

Get the book that is in the dryeye store, you will be amazzed at all the things you didn't know, and you will wonder why your dr. hasn't read it.

Bernadette

Comment

Working...
          X