This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasik Screening

Last night I had a conversation with a family member about my dry eye, and my plans to go to an opthamologist today to see about plugs. She made the comment that "oh, I have those -- it's no biggie" which made me immediately think maybe she'd been suffering like me but not told anyone. She said "no, no -- when I had my screening done for Lasik they did "some test" and suggested that I should have plugs put in as part of the Lasik surgery ... since it looked like I had a bit of dry eye".

Under-stating the potential repercussions of having this surgery, for sure ... but I wonder if offering plugs as part of the procedure is becoming common practice? She had the Lasik done over 3 years ago.

It is not unusual to hear of docs putting in plugs as part of a standard refractive surgery procedure. I've also heard of pre-surgery treatment with drops and Restasis to improve tear film prior to surgery.

Naturally I find this to be bogus and infuriating...as if a patient's tendency to be dry will just not surface due to such prophylactic treatment. I cannot comprehend this way of thinking and frankly would describe it as immoral.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

I agree with Diana, who said it so well. Plugs before lasik is a recent thing. Docs have done anything they could do to boost the chance that lasik would "work" on a person. A bandaid here, a bandaid there and voila'.

Nine years ago, I wasn't tested for dry eyes prior to lasik and, indeed, at that time denied lasik caused dry eye. We've come a long way, baby. Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Is your family member having any bad side-effects from her lasik? I was not offered any plugs beforehand -- supposedly I did not show any signs of dry eye. In fact it took a while before they suggested plugs afterwards too. Which seemed odd to me.

Comment

No, my family member did fine with the lasik. She mentioned today that one of the plugs fell out eventually and once in awhile that eye feels a little dry in the morning but nothing that a drop or two doesn't fix. She told me that when they did the tear test and suggests the plugs, she assumed it was just a ploy to get more money ... and was so irritated by the test, she snapped back that if was just the extra $100 they wanted, they should have just added it to the bill and saved her the discomfort of the test. Obviously, they didn't explain the long term risk. I find it extremely annoying as well that these people are so cavalier about all this. They obviously know there is a risk (else why introduce the plugs at all?).

Comment

I can relate I was told if I had dry eye after my Lasek that plugs would "fix" it. Not. Being a novice and not knowing that I had dry eye prior I went along. In hindsight I think that I should have been disqualified. Apparently the Dr. said that I had mild dry eye before. they should have delved deeper and factored in my age >35, female, fair skinned, very allergic, senistive dry skin, in my opinion. Then let me make the choice ie "just so you know-you may have this problem". Shouda, coulda , woulda....just feeling angry today to match my angry, raw eyes.

Comment

Working...
            X