This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do corneal transplant patients do not have dry eyes

I am really intrigued as to why I don read that patients that have had cornea transplants suffer from dry eyes.

Isn't that interesting. Could anyone shed me some light about this?

Thanks

Jessica.

I think that transplant patients often face serious dry eye issues, especially if they develop graft-vs-host disease. Everything I've read suggests dry eye is about the most frequent complaint after a transplant.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

I am really intrigued as to why I don read that patients that have had cornea transplants suffer from dry eyes.

Isn't that interesting. Could anyone shed me some light about this?
      Jessica, I'm not sure I understand. Where did you read patients don't suffer dry eyes? Is there a link you could connect us to? I would think there would be a fair chance for dry eyes. Maybe I'm wrong?
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi Lucy

Since I started having dry eye trouble I started my research for possible causes. In all the sites that I reviewed the causes were similar: sjogren's, lasik, hormonal changes, allergies, medications like accutane, medications for high blood preassure, etc., but I never saw any reference to people that had cornea transplants, so I wondered.

I am intrigued because one of the possibilities that LASIK causes the dryness is because our corneal nerves were severed, so my logical question was: "how about cornea transplants?, you know?

I also posted this question in asklasikdocs.com, I hope they can share some light.

Best,

Jessica

Comment

I've had the same curiosity.

In all my googling and online "research", I've never read from any corneal transplant patients having dry eye trouble.

That doesn't mean that they do not.

It just surprised me, that I didn't read any bulletins from them.

I'd they do have dry eye troubles, I'm curious to know how it manifests itself and what ophthalmologists think about it.

Comment

Transplant patients most definitely DO get dry eyes. Try googling lamellar keratoplasty, dry eye and you'll probably get a lot of hits indicating high percentages. I get quite a lot of calls from transplant patients and their doctors.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

A patinet that has done a ptrygium/pingecula transplant surgery would still have dry eyes??? it is not the same surgery but i wonder, Because a lasik sugery i can understand.

Comment

Hi- Double transplant here: 1) 1990 right eye- Severe severe dry eye. This was the time that my doc gave me a bottle of Dakrina I believe. Then i begged for more from him. Eventually I did not need it anymore. But still had somewhat dry eye.
                2) 2002 transplant left eye. Again moderately dry eye. Trouble here was that i had a harder contact fit for this post transplant eye. Had a plug-yuck- had it removed as I got an infection . Still use Dwelle periodically when dry eye kicks up.(In fact I called Rebecca last night re ordering bottle.)
                Now mind you- I am a middle aged gal-so dry eye does come with the territory.
                I also have a very very close friend (virtually a sister) who also has moderately dry eye post transplants from late l980's.

Comment

Working...
                X