Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refractive surgery dry eye: How LONG have you had it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refractive surgery dry eye: How LONG have you had it?

Dry eye from Lasik, PRK, etc.

How long have you had it?

Who's had it for years??

Who holds the record here???

I'm 29 months post op (almost 2 1/2 years).
    My eyes get irritated from time to time. It's mild, but there. Better than it was a couple years ago.

Who's been dealing with it for years? And how has it improved (or not).

Thank you all.

9 months post lasik
    i've had maybe a dozen decent days (not good mind you, just decent)
    wonder how long this nightmare can continue

Comment

7.5 years in my case. I consider it well controlled using sclerals, Dwelle, NutraTear, heat and night protection. By "well controlled" I mean I hardly think about my eyes unless someone asks.

I consider myself relatively unusual though in terms of how persistent this problem has been for me. I was one of the high myopes who had LASIK back when doctors were more aggressive about treating high prescriptions. These days with the moderate prescriptions more usually treated, and with more Intralase and better screening I believe the chances of really serious long-term dry eye are a lot lower than they were. Poor comfort to those it happens to, I know, but at least not as many high-risk patients are exposed to it as there used to be. For those who are not yet seeing improvement, please check out our "My Dry Eye Triumphs" forum... it really DOES get better for a lot of people. A drawback to forums like this is, you see only the people who are the exceptions, not the ones who get better.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I don't think we should understate the negative effects of Lasik. The Lasik industry does more than enough of that on its own.

This is a struggle, it is a battle every day! It is both emotionally and physically draining. It is... what it is.
        Last edited by alywankin; 22-Jan-2009, 11:14.

Comment

9.0 years here. Like Rebecca, I was a high myope and surgery was back in the early days where they burned your eyeballs. I also have visual problems from the Lasik and the ensuing dry eye.

About two years ago was diagnosed with Sjogrens, which puts another spin on things. One of my eyes hurts all the time and the other not so bad. I have zero Schirmer's in each eye, but a wide gap in the pain! Lucy
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Paul,

I am so sorry. Please, do share your story! You never know, maybe somebody here can be helpful in some way. Hang in there. Sounds like you've been through a lot.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

1.5yrs for me. It's all I think about, I never thought life could suck this much before lasik.

Comment

Just had RLE...

I wish I had found this site before!!! I would have stuck with glasses. Not only do I have dry eyes... AFter spending $6500 , i still need glasses!!!

Paul

Comment

It'll be 5 years of dry eye in September for me.

The first 2 years post op, it gradually improved to the point where I "only" needed artificial tears once every 1.5-2 hours with no other treatments.

Then it gradually worsened over the next 2 years to where I first posted on this forum: goggles 24/7, ended up quadraplugged (uppers cauterized), restasis, oral doxy, serum drops, artificial tears, no TV, no reading, no computer use, no make-up, spent several waking hours each day unable to keep my eyes open due to the psycho dryness etc...

THEN, it gradually improved over the last year again - I still wear goggles almost 24/7, but with artificial tears, Restasis, doxy, serum drops, puncta plugged etc., am able to function relatively normally as long as I don't over-use the computer or read too much. (I'm still in make-up withdrawal though... would love to be able to cover up those dark circles under my eyes with concealer... a bit of mascara would be oh so nice too haha)

Comment

Going on 5 months post-op. Although the DES didn't start until 3 months after the procedure. My left eye is the killer; burning sensation almost perpetual with no relief from drops. Getting close to the magical 6th month.

SAAG, just wondering if you've tried the scleral or hybrid lenses yet? Looks like there have been quite a few on these boards that have found relief post RS.

Comment

Dry eye 1 year after lasik.
                      No Dry eye 3 years later.
                      Got dry eye again till now (1.5 years)
                      Still hope dry eye will go away again..

Comment

14 months. There have been ups and downs. And days that were manageable and days that were unbearable. I'm having an unbearable day today. Thinking of seeing a therapist.

Comment

Hang in there... it'll get better... you just have to endure these crappy parts to get there... but you will get there...

Comment

Working...
                          X