This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headaches and Dry Eye Post Lasik?

How normal are headaches post lasik? And what is usually the cause, dry eye, eye strain?

7 months post lasik now. I still have constant eye pain and strain, probably not as bad as it was 4 months ago though. The headaches are almost constant

Right eye is the worst, TBUT 4-5secs, Shirmer 12mm. Left eye, TBUT 4-5secs, Shirmer 24mm - left eye is plugged. Plugs would not stay in the right eye.

The opthamologist I went to this past Monday gave me some doxy and erthromycin ointment, he has recommended warm compresses 2 times daily for five minutes with lid massage and lid wash. Also told me to start using refresh plus. Will be back to see him in about 6 weeks to see how I'm progressing. If there is no improvement he was talking about ordering some restasis.

Hi Aaron77,

I don’t know if I can answer all your questions regarding post-LASIK headaches since I have come to believe that headaches after LASIK surgery have many causes and are fairly unique to each person. Some causes: incorrect correction (over correction, under correction, a correction that induces a binocular fusion problem or poor visual quality), nerve pain, dry eye, inflammation, allergies, infections . . . the list goes on and on. I have no idea of the percentages of each type.

For me, the two main causes of headaches were (and are) incorrect correction and ocular contact allergies that trigger inflammation and ocular edema.

Getting glasses with the correct prescription helps the vision headaches.

Treating the allergies by trying to remove all allergens near my eyes (that I know of) helps prevent the inflammatory reaction. When I do develop the allergic inflammation, taking oral allergy meds and anti-inflammatory meds often helps. Also, cool compresses helps reduce the edema and it is the edema that seems to be the headache trigger.

Dry eye syndrome, while a very difficult problem for me for years after LASIK, never caused headaches. Dry eyes probably contributed to the severe ocular allergic inflammation, though.

I hope you find answers for your headaches.

Scout

Comment

Working...
    X