This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refresh Endura

I recently visited Canada, and I found the boxes of preservative-free capsules of Refresh Endura in the pharmacy. I purchased two boxes before returning to the U.S. I wonder why these are not available in the U.S. anymore?

Originally posted by calcan View Post
    I recently visited Canada, and I found the boxes of preservative-free capsules of Refresh Endura in the pharmacy. I purchased two boxes before returning to the U.S. I wonder why these are not available in the U.S. anymore?

I have wondered where they are b/c I have not been able to find them. Didn't know they weren't available in the States

Comment

It is now being sold as Refresh Dry Eye Therapy (Sensitive). See this thread.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Apparently they are not making it anymore. I emailed them last week and recieived this on Nov. 30th, 2009.

What I found odd was that when they list the ingredients, there is no castor oil like I thought/think Refresh Endura had. So it looks like this drop was not the same anyway.

"Dear Allergan Customer:

Thank you for your interest in ALLERGAN and REFRESH DRY EYE THERAPY(r) (Glycerin 1% / Polysorbate 80 1%) Lubricant Eye Drops, preservative free. You had inquired about the availability of REFRESH DRY EYE THERAPY(r).

For your information, Allergan has elected to discontinue manufacturing REFRESH DRY EYE THERAPY(r). Retail stores may continue selling the product as long as supplies last, or until the units reach expiration dating.

Should you have questions regarding which product is most suitable for your individual needs please do not hesitate to contact your eye care practitioner. He or she is in the best position to determine those eye care products best for your needs.

Sincerely,
        Allergan, Inc.
        2525 Dupont Drive
        Irvine, CA 92623
        (800) 347-4500 (800) 347-4500

Comment

For more info - I did specify the "sensitive eyes" version in my inquiry. Here's what I wrote.

"Where can I buy the Dry Eye Therapy vials for Sensitive Eyes - the one that used to be called Refresh Endura? I have gone to every different store in a 30 mile radius. Any information you have would be appreciated. "

Comment

Originally posted by Chemia
            Refresh Endura with Castor oil is no longer available in the US. If you contact an allergan rep. and ask, they will respond by saying that there was not enough demand for it. I on the other hand have a different take on this. You see the carrier in restasis is castor oil, and it is believed that the carrier itself has some anti-inflammatory properties that may even help with the oil glands. I think that may have more to do with why it was removed as an eye lubricant since castor oil could help with inflammation and figured they could make more money that way. Just a thought. There is some research out there that confirms that it is the carrier that makes the restasis work more so than the cyclosporin.

I think you could be right about the money-making aspect of the restasis, since it has castor oil in it.

Comment

Originally posted by alisonW View Post
              Apparently they are not making it anymore. I emailed them last week and recieived this on Nov. 30th, 2009.

What I found odd was that when they list the ingredients, there is no castor oil like I thought/think Refresh Endura had. So it looks like this drop was not the same anyway.

"Dear Allergan Customer:

Thank you for your interest in ALLERGAN and REFRESH DRY EYE THERAPY(r) (Glycerin 1% / Polysorbate 80 1%) Lubricant Eye Drops, preservative free. You had inquired about the availability of REFRESH DRY EYE THERAPY(r).

For your information, Allergan has elected to discontinue manufacturing REFRESH DRY EYE THERAPY(r). Retail stores may continue selling the product as long as supplies last, or until the units reach expiration dating.

Should you have questions regarding which product is most suitable for your individual needs please do not hesitate to contact your eye care practitioner. He or she is in the best position to determine those eye care products best for your needs.

Sincerely,
              Allergan, Inc.
              2525 Dupont Drive
              Irvine, CA 92623
              (800) 347-4500 (800) 347-4500

Right, the Dry Eye Therapy does not have castor oil in it, nor are they preservative free.

Thanks for your information. I guess I'll just keep buying it from Canada.

Comment

Drugstore.com is still listing Refresh Dry Eye Therapy (with castor oil) though not the preservative free one.

I see the PF version available on some sites out there still. So anyone who still wants it better stock up, I guess. Unfortunately this is what happens to drops with too little demand. However, often things can be compounded at some enterprising place afterwards. In fact I read a customer review on Amazon saying they had found a pharmacy that would do it for them.

Don't forget you have to look in the inactive ingredients for the castor oil because it's not an approved active ingredient for this class of drug. (Further clue perhaps.)
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                  Drugstore.com is still listing Refresh Dry Eye Therapy (with castor oil) though not the preservative free one.

I see the PF version available on some sites out there still. So anyone who still wants it better stock up, I guess. Unfortunately this is what happens to drops with too little demand. However, often things can be compounded at some enterprising place afterwards. In fact I read a customer review on Amazon saying they had found a pharmacy that would do it for them.

Don't forget you have to look in the inactive ingredients for the castor oil because it's not an approved active ingredient for this class of drug. (Further clue perhaps.)
                  You're right - it does have castor oil in it, but since it's not preservative free, I found these drops to be irritating.

Comment

For more info - I did specify the "sensitive eyes" version in my inquiry. Here's what I wrote.

"Where can I buy the Dry Eye Therapy vials for Sensitive Eyes - the one that used to be called Refresh Endura? I have gone to every different store in a 30 mile radius. Any information you have would be appreciated. "
                    Calcan - as you can see I did inquire about the correct product & it is no longer being made. The Dry Eye Therapy for Sensitive eyes is the pf one that *does* contain the castor oil.

My error was only here:
                    because I was thinking they listed the complete ingredients in their response to me.

Bottom line is they're no longer avaiable in the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by alisonW View Post
                      Calcan - as you can see I did inquire about the correct product & it is no longer being made. The Dry Eye Therapy for Sensitive eyes is the pf one that *does* contain the castor oil.

My error was only here: because I was thinking they listed the complete ingredients in their response to me.

Bottom line is they're no longer avaiable in the U.S.

I understand the confusion. We also don't know if the amount of castor oil is the same as in the preservative-free brand. At least I know I can get the pf brand in Canada.

To change the subject slightly, I am inclined to try to wean myself off of drops altogether, because I recently saw on the Today show a discussion of eyedrops, and they said that even lubricating drops can create a situation where your eyes become dependent on them and may stop producing their own lubrication. Something to think about, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X