Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can preservative free vials be left open/stored?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can preservative free vials be left open/stored?

I'm trying to use more and more preservative free artificial tears to combat a recent flare-up of my dry eyes. In the morning when I'm trying to fully hydrate my eyes, I easily can go through the 6 - 7 drops in a vial in a matter of minutes. However, later in the day when I need just a single maintenance drop in each eye, I'm left wondering what I should do with the 4 - 5 drops that remain in a newly opened vial. How long can I safely leave a vial open? Can its life be prolonged if I put in a ziplock bag and put it in the fridge? I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but I'd appreciate any input. Thank you.

Thanks, but I've never seen a cap for any of the vials I've used. Instead a little plastic piece just pops off leaving the end of the vial open and exposed.

Comment

Ok, I'm officially an idiot. I looked at my vials and noticed, quite obviously, that the little plastic pieces do indeed serve as caps. I guess I should adhere to my wife's advice of opening my eyes before opening my mouth. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Berob View Post
        In the morning when I'm trying to fully hydrate my eyes, I easily can go through the 6 - 7 drops in a vial in a matter of minutes.
        Just a thought: You might want to look at alternatives to this approach. While it might be worth it for the 'feelgood factor', putting in this much doesn't really make your eyes wetter... the eye surface can't hold more than a drop (less actually unless you have enormous eyes) so the rest just drains anyway. Personally if I want to feel really wet in the morning, I use Unisol 4 (cheap, unpreserved saline). Also a warm wet washcloth helps get things going in the morning.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

blimey - I never realised there was a cap either...I thought you just threw the top plastic thing away

Very glad to have read this thread

Comment

I used TheraTears (and other vial drops) for about 8 years before I knew you could use these twist off tops as a recap. Lucy
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Just received my first box of Theratears in the post and doesn't look like there is a cap for them (the bit you twist off is too small). Am I being stupid?

Comment

Working...
              X