Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Addicted to Eye drops for Red Eyes

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rebecca Petris
    replied
    Bryan9182,

    You posted about three years ago that you quit the red eye drops for three months but were still red. I didn't go back through all your posts but what I'd like to know is, why were you red in the first place? How did you get started using those drops?

    I know the last thing you need or want right now is to be beat up about this but I can't help asking: Why go back to them when you know they're harmful? I mean, I know that it's extremely difficult to deal with chronically red eyes - we have many members, young ones too, dealing with it. But vasoconstrictors only prolong the agony and increase the risk of 'unfixability'.

    Originally posted by bryan9182 View Post
    I have been addicted to clear eyes for SEVERAL years now (about 5 years) and I cannot go without them. Is permanent eye redness from the overuse of these drops possible, even after stopping?
    The issue with vasoconstrictors is not just the rebound redness but the toxicity from the preservative, causing more dryness which (in some people) is a big factor in redness.

    If I don't use clear eyes in the morning my eyes will literally be completely red.
    I know that the recovery period afterwards is really hard to get through, especially without being certain you can eradicate the chronic redness, but for the sake of your future eye health I'd start tackling it anyway. There's little point pursuing all these other dry eye treatments you've mentioned when you're taking three steps backward every day with the vasoconstrictors.

    I actually find it really hopeful that your eyes looked better during that week without. That means you really have hope of getting this under control. It's going to take some real discipline though. I'm sure members here will have ideas. My suggestions would be, plenty of sleep, cold compresses night and morning, saline (unisol 4) rinses, the best lubricant you can lay your hands on, eye protection at night esp. until/unless you've eliminated any possibility of allergy, overnight dryness etc. And most of all really good diagnosis.

    Leave a comment:


  • bryan9182
    replied
    Hey everyone. So glad I found this thread

    I have been addicted to clear eyes for SEVERAL years now (about 5 years) and I cannot go without them. Is permanent eye redness from the overuse of these drops possible, even after stopping? I tried quitting cold turkey for a week or so. My eyes looked better but then one morning I was scheduled to work at 6am. Got little sleep the night before and then when I showed up to work bam, eyes were extremely bloodshot so I was forced to use the drops again. I just cannot seem to quit. What kind of doctor did you guys see/what kind of treatments did they give you to be able to live and look normally without the use of the eye drops? If I don't use clear eyes in the morning my eyes will literally be completely red. After about 5 hours the effects of the drops start to wear off and they get red again =(

    Leave a comment:


  • Nanerpus
    replied
    Really good Tip!

    It seems you have gotten over the hurdle, so this is a bit late. I don't use red out eye drops, but I do have allergies and my eyes get red from them. I find that keeping a few PF vials chilled in the fridge feels like heaven when my eyes are red and itchy and burning, but they also seem to whiten them up for some time as well, much like a vasoconstrictor but without the side effects!

    Leave a comment:


  • howdryiam
    replied
    Update

    its been 3 years since I have not used the clear eyes - my eyes are fine now - I hardly even use tears - It takes 6-9 months before your eyes improve - tinted glasses helped

    timothycarroll@verizon.net

    Leave a comment:


  • baddabingtim
    replied
    Helping hand

    If anyone comes across this and wants advice or help with a similiar condition - please feel free to contact me directly - timothycarroll@verizon.net

    Leave a comment:


  • Amy09
    replied
    it might take a little longer than a couple weeks to recover from using over the counter eye drops, especially if you've used them every day for a year or longer. great job for hanging in there, but i just want you to keep that in mind in case your not getting the results your expecting for recooperating. definately stick with it though, even if it takes a year or more to recover.

    Leave a comment:


  • halfmoonbaygal
    replied
    Day 6

    One day at a time, big guy, one day at a time. It sounds like you're making progress--hang in there!

    Leave a comment:


  • baddabingtim
    replied
    Day 6 - eyes look ok in the morning but still hurt like heck - feel like someone recovering from alcohol

    Leave a comment:


  • Amy09
    replied
    halfmoonbaygal, that is a really good way to look at things. good advice for all.

    Leave a comment:


  • halfmoonbaygal
    replied
    Congrats

    ...and good job kicking the eye vasoconstrictor thing. I'm glad you've found ways to "survive" until your eyes get back to their normal selves--whatever that is! I'm a special ed teacher and working with those wonderful kids day in and day out has taught me a couple of things: there's no such thing as normal, and facing every day with challenges with good grace and humor is a really great (and difficult) thing to do.

    Leave a comment:


  • baddabingtim
    replied
    Thanks - yes if you read the article on Dr holly's web site about the chinese gentlemen - thats me to a tee - addicted to clear eyes from working too much - well it's day 4 and I am wearing glasses with a tint I bought for reading - helps to conceal the redness and actually feels better.

    I am using nutratear and freshkote every 3 hours

    I am working at home for a few weeks to weather the storm - will keep you posted...

    Leave a comment:


  • Rebecca Petris
    replied
    Hang in there... You're doing great, I am so glad you decided to tackle this... I know it's got to be tough.

    Computer use is the worst isn't it! I find "moisture chamber" eyewear a real help though on bad days, like Panoptx or Harley Davidson or Wiley-X with the foam pads. Also don't forget to blink more often! Try our Blinkers as a reminder.

    I was thinking about you today because of a conversation I got into with a gentleman at an eye doctor's office (technician I believe). I described your situation and he said "THAT'S ME!" Same vicious cycle with the vasoconstrictors. I think there's a lot of people out there that this happens to.

    Leave a comment:


  • baddabingtim
    replied
    Day 3 is tough

    Worked today at home - tough day at the computer - my eyes felt like they were falling out - the price we pay

    Leave a comment:


  • baddabingtim
    replied
    Started off the clear-eyes

    Day2 without clear eyes - Putting in gentel gel every 3 hrs

    Leave a comment:


  • baddabingtim
    replied
    I have been using the clear eyes for dry eyes with redness relief - it feels good - use it twice a day - my problem is I travel for work and get up at 4:00 a.m somedays and without the drops I would look like a raveging drunk.

    I am going to wean off starting today - I am going to try the nutratear and dakrina - I will keep you posted

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X