This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many people actually get better?

I am interested in what percentage of people with dry eye continue to deteriorate, continue to stay the same, and what percentage get better and to what extent? Has anyone actually had dry eye go completely away for good? Is it inevitable that those of us who suffer at younger ages will have this in old age when dry eye becomes a very common effect of simply aging?

I often wonder about dry eye in old age...I am 35 now.

But then I think because I look after my eyes so well since Lasik that maybe I will have less chance of having dry eye in old age....that is persuming I will get this MGD under control before I hit "old age"

I am only 6 months post Lasik, so I think I have time on my side for my recovery, so hopefully in 6 months time I will be saying not only am I cured, but I have healthier eyes then a regular 35 year old.

Bernadette

Comment

I often wonder about dry eye in old age...I am 35 now.
      Bernadette, if dry eye is the only thing you have when you get to "old age", I think you will be one lucky woman. I am being serious and not snotty. If you (or anyone) can go through the next 30 or 40 years without heart disease, diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, broken bones, arthritis, cataracts etc. I would think you'd be Wonder Woman. Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I think the unfortunate truth is as we age lacrimal glands make less aqueous and meibomian glands make less lipids. Then you throw in the medicines we take for other "life threatening" issues and dry eyes are destined to be a factor as we age.

The good news is more therapeutic treatments are being developed and currently, we have more help today than just 3-5 years ago. We also are gaining better recognition of the disease by eye care providers each day.

Comment

Hey, I often find that while I'm suffering some other ailment, I don't notice my eye discomfort as much as I do when I'm perfectly healthy. Here's to the aging process!

To answer your question from my perspective, rubyslippers, my eyes aren't getting worse as the years progress. They are more manageable now than they've ever been. I'm only 37, however, and can't really comment yet on the affects of real aging. Lucy is WAAAAAAAAAY more qualified on that note than I am!
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Diana, you have a looooooong forth pregnancy going on for which you are fair game for jabs. Your FORTH? Really, four?
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Aw, Luc, I've certainly set myself up for a few jabs, but I just couldn't resist and I knew you'd still love me!
              Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

I am curious to know this too. I need some hope. I thought with PRK/lasek this would not be so bad, I was wrong.

Comment

For me i have stayed the same, there has been some improvement from progesterone cream but not enough.

I know alot on DEZ have got better with interventions or get to a stage that is manageable. But i havent because nothing seems to work for me. It depends whats causing it.
                  I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

I am certainly much better now than I was 3 years ago when i had the dreaded laser treatment. However i am now beginning to think that this will never completely go. I have had several spells, some quite long, when my eyes are virtually symptom free and I have thought I have cracked it. Then hey presto it comes back with no obvious cause. This is the most annoying part of the syndrome, the complete lack of logic to it!
                    This also applies to treatments of which I have tried many. I cant really say that any made a massive difference with any sort of conviction.All too often it could just be that some treatment coincides with a good cycle for my eyes.
                    Having said that i am a great believer in positive thought and keep striving. So yes it does get better but I dont think my eyes will ever be what they were.

Barry

Comment

I think this totally depends on what caused the dry eyes. For me, my right eye is almost completely normal after being pretty bad and if my left was anything like the right then dry eyes would be the last thing on my mind and I'd consider myself "completely better". I do believe people recover or at least find the level where they can maintain comfort on a certain routine- it just seems to take time and persistence. I dont think it is reasonable for anyone to expect us to be in pain all the time- that is why I refuse to give up on healing this. In the past my bleph has been "quiet"- I just want to be back there again. Hold out hope

Comment

I had mild dry eye for about 5 years but pink eye caused mine to go really bad last January. I am now at a level of comfort IF I do everything I can to manage. I take flaxseed oil, 3 duct plugs, do daily lid scrubs and hot presses, humidifiers in my office and my home, use drops whenever I have problems, and keep my special protective contacts on my eyes. I am quite comfortable most of the time. If I vary anything I can set off a spiral down. I feel fortunate to manage as well as I do after about 5 months of really suffering to the point that I did not know how I was going to continue to work.

Comment

me.

I m gettng better. 35%

Comment

I am getting better compare to just found dry eye 6 years ago.
                            My dye eye don't come from LASIK, it come after losing sleeps at night...

I had 3 years taking chinese medicine and acupuncture. A little better, but still just 5mm on tear test, far away from normal person.

Comment

Working...
                            X