Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worse: Drying effects of allergy pills or BAK toxicity?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worse: Drying effects of allergy pills or BAK toxicity?

Just curious as to your take on these issues:

One one hand allergy pills are said to have a drying effect on the eye - this side effect can be bettered by artificial tears I'd imagine, or something that makes your lacriminal gland produce more tears such as restasis.

Then you have allergy drops that contain BAK which are said to be terrible for the eye.

Which is the better alternative to control perennial allergies?

I am currently on restasis (week 6). Have had ok results thus far - don't know if its working for me. I also use Theratears drops about 4x per day.

If you are talking about ocular allergy symptoms, I would speak with your eye doctor. I use Patanol as needed. It does contain BAK, but I don't use it every day nor do I use it all year long. I find it impacts my DES less than oral anti-histamines, which don't always help the ocular allergy symptoms.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

It makes me mad that the eye drop companies do not make pf anti-allergy drops !!
      The only one on the world- wide market is zaditen/zaditor(different name in different countries) and they have only just come on the market in pf form
      I've been trying to locate them on and off for last 9 months
      And just our luck again - pretty well unavailable in UK -typical !!
      Dont they realize that most of us who are prone to allergies, will also have allergic reactions to preservatives in drops ?? It just does'nt make any sense
      Who are they marketing these drops for ??

Comment

Exasperated !!

It makes me mad that the eye drop companies do not make pf anti-allergy drops !!
        The only one on the world- wide market is zaditen/zaditor(different name in different countries) and they have only just come on the market in pf form
        I've been trying to locate them on and off for last 9 months
        And just our luck again - pretty well unavailable in UK -typical !!
        Dont they realize that most of us who are prone to allergies, will also have allergic reactions to preservatives in drops ?? It just does'nt make any sense
        Who are they marketing these drops for ??

Comment

Working...
        X