This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testosterone eye cream

I saw on the Doctors show about Testosterone eye cream. And have read research studies on how Testosterone is supposed to help and protect both the Lacrimal glands and meibomian glands.

Those who use this treatment, where do you get it at? And how much is it? I believe it is made at compounding pharmacies.

I'm interested in trying it since I've known for a while that I've had low testosterone. So, that could be why I've since developed dry eye due to low tear volume.

I would also like to try testosterone eye cream. I've seen earlier posts on DEZ about telling your GP that you have low libido and getting a 3% testosterone cream prescribed, then using it on your eyelids. I wish there were a way for the doc to prescribe it knowing it is for dry eyes. do you know of any docs who will prescribe it off label for dry eyes?. Judy

Comment

Originally posted by heyjude0701 View Post
      I would also like to try testosterone eye cream. I've seen earlier posts on DEZ about telling your GP that you have low libido and getting a 3% testosterone cream prescribed, then using it on your eyelids. I wish there were a way for the doc to prescribe it knowing it is for dry eyes. do you know of any docs who will prescribe it off label for dry eyes?. Judy
      There was an episode on The Doctors show about it a little while back. I think it was a few months ago. They talked about the cream for dry eye treatment and actually applied it on someone.

But they do make testosterone eye cream FOR dry eyes. I've been looking around on the research studies on it. I was thinking of contacting the doctors who did those studies to find out where to get the testosterone cream. As I think it is made in a compounding lab.

I was told that Allergen was doing clinical trials on testosterone eye cream a few years ago for dry eyes, but stopped because they were making a ton off of Restasis.

I tried Restasis, but it just made things alot worse to where I had to stop.

The testosterone makes alot of sense as dry eye is usually a womans illness. And that they've found receptors in the tear glands for testosterone.

I think it's one of those deals where it's not fully out of the research setting yet. But in order to get it out of the research setting, a company has to go through clinical trials. But then again, it may be cheaper to get it right now than after it going through all the clinical trials. Cause then the drug companies charge a ton for it to get their clinical trials costs back.

Comment

I read that much of the research on testosterone for dry eyes was done by David Sullivan at the Schepens Eye Research Institute at Harvard. He's been studying this since the 1990's and that Dr Sullivan has an agreement with Allergan that they will produce the eye drops. I was reading in Robert Latkany's book (copyright 2007) that Restasis had just been approved and that testosterone drops wouldn't be released until 2015. I guess Allergan wants to wait until Restasis is off patent before releasing the testosterone drops. There has to be a better way! I am so desperate, I want to try those drops so badly!

Comment

Originally posted by heyjude0701 View Post
          I read that much of the research on testosterone for dry eyes was done by David Sullivan at the Schepens Eye Research Institute at Harvard. He's been studying this since the 1990's and that Dr Sullivan has an agreement with Allergan that they will produce the eye drops. I was reading in Robert Latkany's book (copyright 2007) that Restasis had just been approved and that testosterone drops wouldn't be released until 2015. I guess Allergan wants to wait until Restasis is off patent before releasing the testosterone drops. There has to be a better way! I am so desperate, I want to try those drops so badly!
          There must be two different forms then. Eye drops and eye cream that you rub into your eyelids.

The stuff on The Doctors and other places I had been reading were related to the testosterone eye cream. The cream is rubbed on the outer eye lids and has a time release where it releases testosterone over time instead of all at once into the tear glands.

I was told Allergan stopped clinical trials of the testosterone cream. I think phase 2 trials were finished back in 2006. So that's 6 years of no further developement in the clinical trials which is a long time.

But the thing is you should be able to get the testosterone cream. I thought maybe others on here were already trying it and knew of where to get it at with a good price, but I guess not. I don't think it's widely known about, and I only found out about it from The Doctors show.

But the thing is if Allergan finishes the clinical trials and gets the testosterone cream approved. I'm willing to bet the price will skyrocket. So, it may be a good thing they stopped the clinical trials.

Here's the video from The Doctors. Though from watching it again. The doctor there is using the Testosterone cream for Blepharitis. Which is different from what I was reading from the research. But it may all be the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDlj9C-5A9s

Comment

Looks like you can get testosterone cream here:

http://www.leiterrx.com/

and here:

http://www.peoplescustomrx.com/

and here:

http://www.roxsan.com/compounding.html

You have to call around for prices. As the Roxsan testosterone compound they sell was really small. To where it was almost 3 times the cost of another compounding place.
            Last edited by jasonsmith; 28-Jun-2012, 09:04.

Comment

Thanks for this info! Judy

Comment

Looks like there are different people researching testosterone and dry eyes. Some use the testosterone creams. And others use the testosterone eye drops. Though it looks like the drops cost more than the cream. But I think I'd much rather try the cream on the eyelids instead of putting drops in the eye. As who knows what long term problems could occur with the eye drops. I did read of an article saying the testosterone drops could sting.

Comment

I read in Steven ******'s book that you have to have your heart and liver checked (and prostate too for males) if you're on the cream or the drops. I don't know how much gets into you system when you use them topically. Dr ******'s book is five years old; why is it taking so long for testosterone treatment to get into the mainstream? Is it because there are too many negative side effects, or not effective, or is Allergan waiting to release it until Restasis is off patent?

Comment

My understanding is that the side effects are not good and that's why it's not gone mainstream. For women, there's extra body / facial hair, possibly deepening of voice, and other things. The worst, though, is the increased chance of cancer. Endochronologists weigh the increased risk with the need for testosterone (in other words, is your testosterone lower than it should be or is it normal but you're hoping testosterone will increase your tear production). I had a pretty long talk with an Endo about this and when it was said and done (my levels are completely normal), I decided it was definitely not worth the risk.

Comment

Thanks PotatoCakes. I guess I should have my testosterone level tested.

Comment

Well, I'm male with secondary hypogonadism. So, I'm supposed to be on testosterone replacement therapy anyways. Which I plan to get back on to try again.

Potato,

Are you talking about side effects from the testosterone cream, or just from taking testosterone in general?

The side effects from the cream should be minimal from what I understand because the testosterone is being applied topically to the eye lid that gets absorbed by the glands from what the researchers say vs. you getting testosterone shots or taking testosterone pills.

From all the articles I've read on testosterone cream, I haven't read anything on there being a side effect problem. But sure take caution as anything is possible, and would be more of a worry for a female than a male.

Comment

I think creams and patches are used more commonly than shots or pills these days, particularly with women, so while the risks would likely be higher with shots or pills, they are still an issue with the other.

I think age probably has something to do with it too. A 30 or 40 year old needs to weigh the same risk level differently than an 70 or 80 year old since the potential for damage is longer term, assuming one would use testosterone supplement for the rest of their life, etc.
                          Last edited by PotatoCakes; 28-Jun-2012, 16:55.

Comment

Originally posted by PotatoCakes View Post
                            I think creams and patches are used more commonly than shots or pills these days, particularly with women, so while the risks would likely be higher with shots or pills, they are still an issue with the other.

I think age probably has something to do with it too. A 30 or 40 year old needs to weigh the same risk level differently than an 70 or 80 year old since the potential for damage is longer term, assuming one would use testosterone supplement for the rest of their life, etc.
                            From the articles I've read, the testosterone eye cream is supposed to stay localized to the eye lids, vs. going around in the bloodstream. But what one could do I guess, is get your testosterone level checked a few times to know where you are at. Then after treatment, have it checked again to see if the level has gone up.

Though you testosterone level changes throughout the day, so you'd have to get multiple tests done to try and figure up an average of your level.

One thing that I think would be more of a risk at this point would be the testosterone eye drops. As I don't think they know the long term effects this could have putting those drops in your eye.

Comment

Well my Opthamalogist won't prescribe the T eye cream. They told me to go see my family doctor. Haha. I told them it's something prescribed by an eye doctor.

Comment

Working...
                              X