Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what times do your eyes feel best? A list of mine seems to point to growth hormone

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At what times do your eyes feel best? A list of mine seems to point to growth hormone

I'll get straight to the point. In looking up what things regulate growth hormone, I noticed it might have something to do with how my eyes feel, and might help explain the pattern of who tends to get dry eyes.

My eyes feel better during or after these activities which also promote growth hormone release
    Good night's sleep
    exercise
    reduced stress level
    massage

worse after these, which promote reduced growth hormone release
    bad sleep
    high stress level
    too much sugar or carbs

This little "theory" I have also would explain why, in general, dry eyes show up as people age (though I others are young like me) and why men tend to not have dry eyes as much as women.

Today is the first day which I will consciously try to maximize this list and see if it helps more and more.

Hi gilligan,

But which hormone are you talking about?

Comment

Hi bakunin,

I'm talking about the hormone that's simply called "growth hormone." It comes from the pituitary gland. It fits very well with my list, as if growth hormone deficiency had a lot to do with dry eyes of unknown origin.

I first started thinking this way when during a span of 2 weeks, I felt nearly cured. These 2 weeks were special because I was working 80 hours a week (which is more than my usual!!) but I was getting a solid 9 hours of sleep every night. I had dreaded those weeks as I thought they would be hard on my eyes. That's when I fully realized how important sleep is for my eyes, after I was done with those weeks and my eyes felt great. I haven't been able to replicate those weeks since I started working less though... I suspect it is not a coincidence, but rather that I cannot sleep as well anymore without working those long hours. I suspect it was also important that I slept at very regular times, to the point where I needed no alarm clock like usual and felt so refreshed when I woke up.

Lest you think I'm being a little too crazy, I present my finest piece of evidence:

"Nearly fifty percent of GH secretion occurs during the third and fourth NREM sleep stages." According to wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by gilligan_1434 View Post
        Hi bakunin,

I'm talking about the hormone that's simply called "growth hormone." It comes from the pituitary gland. It fits very well with my list, as if growth hormone deficiency had a lot to do with dry eyes of unknown origin.

I first started thinking this way when during a span of 2 weeks, I felt nearly cured. These 2 weeks were special because I was working 80 hours a week (which is more than my usual!!) but I was getting a solid 9 hours of sleep every night. I had dreaded those weeks as I thought they would be hard on my eyes. That's when I fully realized how important sleep is for my eyes, after I was done with those weeks and my eyes felt great. I haven't been able to replicate those weeks since I started working less though... I suspect it is not a coincidence, but rather that I cannot sleep as well anymore without working those long hours. I suspect it was also important that I slept at very regular times, to the point where I needed no alarm clock like usual and felt so refreshed when I woke up.

Lest you think I'm being a little too crazy, I present my finest piece of evidence:

"Nearly fifty percent of GH secretion occurs during the third and fourth NREM sleep stages." According to wikipedia
        hummm.. I have always wnated to know why good or bad sleep is so crucial to have a bad or a good day in relation to dry eyes. That's a possible exaplanation... I remember quite weel that mine onset was after a really bad night sleep. I slept really bad because of anxiety due to a planned trip and I "woke up" with that burning feeling in the eyes, that got worse in the months following and never left me anymore.

Comment

I have extremely dry eyes and my last igf1 test came out 386. So I'd say at least for me, there's no correlation, because that's a HIGH number.

Comment

Working...
          X