This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth control and dry eye?

I had some dry eye problems before my LASIK surgery, and while it hasn't gotten all that much worse since, I'm still in the first few months of healing and I know that time period can make it a little worse. But, I'm still interested in taking care of the problem as much as I can. I have plugs in all four ducts, I use artificial preservative-free tears, and I take Flaxseed Oil supplement pills.

I used to be on Claritin, but stopped and switched to using Nasonex, and I am still on a birth control pill. I'm curious how much of a difference people have noticed with dry eye by going off the pill? It's not strictly necessary for me to be on it, just much more convenient, and I'm wondering how effective it's likely to be if I stop taking it.

Thanks!

Hi

I did give up taking the pill as my consultant suggested. You should id say

Comment

birth control and dry eye

I've been on birth control for years and though it is convenient, I also need the pill for medical reasons. I am planning to discuss my birth control with my dr at my annual and find out what other brands may have less effect on my dry eye. I was hoping your post might bring up more information, but I'll let you know what my doctor says. I will see my doctor in the next few weeks.

Comment

Thanks for the replies--I was also hoping it might get some more answers and advice, but maybe some people will continue to add their two cents worth

I just finished taking it for this month, and since I don't take it for any medical reasons nor is pregnancy a risk for me right now, I'm thinking I may just not start up next month's pack and see if it helps. I've got my next eye follow-up in six weeks, so maybe by then it'll have made a difference. Here's hoping!

Comment

Anyone else on birth control?

Please let me know. I also tried not taking my allergy meds for a while, and that actually made my dry eye worse - which I thought was weird. No one ever explained this to me, although my eye doctor nodded knowingly when I told him. The last medicine culprit has to be my BCs, but who knows. Thanks for the post, and please let me know if your change makes a big difference. I realize we are all different, but it would be good information for me.

Comment

Katie, if you're still around, what was the result of going off the Pill? Did it affect your dry eyes in a positive way?

Comment

Lower Dose

Hi. I called my ob/gyn & got a prescription for a lower dose (of estrogen). The one I'm on now is 30mcg & the new on is 20. I haven't started them yet as I was in the middle of using my old ones. I will finish those up next week so I have 2 weeks to go before getting on the new ones. Here's a link that talks about low dose birth control pills: http://www.drdonnica.com/display.asp?article=5246

Comment

I've taken the pill fpr over 6 years now and stopped a few weeks ago.My gyn told me to wait for at least 3 months to see whether my eyes improve or not. I'll let you know.

Comment

JaneDoe,
                  The pill that I was on (Yasmin) is actually one of the ones listed on that site of low-estrogen pills. And I just went off completely to see what happens. I wouldn't use that list as a guideline because Yasmine and Yaz, for example, although they are low in estrogen, also contain another hormone (which basically blocks testosterone and clears your skin up and some other benefits). So, that could also be a problem insofar as dry eyes. That's what I'm waiting to see. Without a doubt, you have to wait at least three months to see results, though. Anyway, just going to the lower estrogen dose may not cut it - you may have to go off entirely.
                  I will certainly keep you guys (gals) updated if there is a difference in my dry eye.

Comment

Some relief now

Hi,
                    I've stopped Valette for about 3 months till now. And for about 2 weeks, I got hair lost (not serious yet, and no acne yet). For about 3 days, my eyes are wetter and whiter than usual.

Comment

Working...
                    X