This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eye and finasteride

Hello everyone. I have been dealing with extremely dry eyes for about 6 months now. The restasis worked at first, but after about 3 months on it, it quit working. While trying to find the solution to all of the problems, I looked online to see if the medicine I was taking (finasteride, propecia) could cause dry eye, and they can. I also contacted my eye doc, and he said that it can. I was wondering if anyone here has dealt with dry eye due to finasteride, and could tell me if getting off will fix the issue. Thank you so much everyone. Oh, and I love the forum. It's very helpful.

I've been on finas and now on Dutasteride (avodart brandname) and that's indeed one of the possible sides.

But I had dry eyes before I started the meds ... and by the way ... suppose they would tell me that the Dutas is the only cause of my dry eye I wouldn't stop taking it ... it's all about priorities

in the meantime I'm trying hard to keep my eyes the best I can ...

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
      I've been on finas and now on Dutasteride (avodart brandname) and that's indeed one of the possible sides.

But I had dry eyes before I started the meds ... and by the way ... suppose they would tell me that the Dutas is the only cause of my dry eye I wouldn't stop taking it ... it's all about priorities

in the meantime I'm trying hard to keep my eyes the best I can ...
      Well... At this point, my eyes are my priority due to the fact that my eyes are consistently in pain.

Comment

have you looked at every other possible trigger in your environment ?

- excessive computer work (lower blink-rate)
        - airconditioning at work
        - dusty environment
        - sleeping with your eyes open
        - something you are allergic too (something in your diet, your shampoo, soap , ...)

have you had a shimmer test already to define whether or not you create too little or "unhealthy" tears ?)

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
          have you looked at every other possible trigger in your environment ?

- excessive computer work (lower blink-rate)
          - airconditioning at work
          - dusty environment
          - sleeping with your eyes open
          - something you are allergic too (something in your diet, your shampoo, soap , ...)

have you had a shimmer test already to define whether or not you create too little or "unhealthy" tears ?)
          Yes, I have had that done. Before I was on the restasis, the doctor said I produce 20% of what I should in one eye, and 40% of what I should in the other, and after this started back, and I went to the doctor, it scored a little lower.

Comment

Hi ttdub

I have DES (MGD really) and used to take propecia for about 5 years. Its been a month short of two years since I quit with it. I did quite a bit of searching about the correlation between the two and have spoken with a number of doctors about it. Although there is a study out there directly linking the two, it didn't seem any of the eye docs I saw had ever come across it. I also saw a few posts on a hair forum about a guy that had similar symptoms, but it was a very old post. Then probably a year ago or so there was a guy that came on here and posted a similar story. I PM'd him but dont think I ever got a response.

Whatever the case, I don't know if propecia is the main contributing factor in my problems or not...but being off it for two years certainly hasn't provided any relief

take care

Daren

Comment

Originally posted by bassfan View Post
              Hi ttdub

I have DES (MGD really) and used to take propecia for about 5 years. Its been a month short of two years since I quit with it. I did quite a bit of searching about the correlation between the two and have spoken with a number of doctors about it. Although there is a study out there directly linking the two, it didn't seem any of the eye docs I saw had ever come across it. I also saw a few posts on a hair forum about a guy that had similar symptoms, but it was a very old post. Then probably a year ago or so there was a guy that came on here and posted a similar story. I PM'd him but dont think I ever got a response.

Whatever the case, I don't know if propecia is the main contributing factor in my problems or not...but being off it for two years certainly hasn't provided any relief

take care

Daren
              Thank you so much for the response. If I ever find out anything, I will let you know.

Comment

Propecia and dry eyes

Hey there, this is not exactly the most timely response but hopefully my experience might be useful for others.

I am 22 years of age and started using Propecia in October 2009. I had noticed my hairline had begun to recede since leaving high school, not at an incredible speed but enough to make me unhappy about it. In early 2010 my hairline started to come back, which was very pleasing. In November 2009, soon after starting on the drug, I noticed I was getting very dry eyes. I didn't contemplate that this might be related to my use of Propecia. I am a contact lens user, and the contact lenses I was wearing at the time, because of their water content, shielded much of the discomfort. My eyes were at their worst when I wore my glasses. I saw my doctor about the dry eyes and he said none of his other Propecia patients had experienced that side effect, but he couldn't rule it out as being the cause. I decided to stop using Propecia after just under 7 months on the drug. I have been off the drug for just over 5 weeks now and very gradually my eyes have improved. This week my eyes feel more or less normal, so I am quite sure that Propecia is the cause of the dryness.

Despite this undesirable side effect, I desperately want to stay on the drug to keep my hair (I'm now concerned that the small amount of hair I've regrown is already falling out). My doctor didn't seem to be averse to me staying on Propecia even if it is the cause, and said we could look to other solutions to counter the dryness. I'm booked in to see him tomorrow afternoon, so will post here again at a later date when I have more news. I expect I'll be going to see an opthamologist in the near future to discuss these options, and in particular (a) whether having punctal plugs inserted into my eyes would provide the necessary relief, and (b) whether there is any chance continuing to use Propecia for a long period would actually cause damage to my eyes.

Comment

ABNZ, have you looked into Minoxidil as an alternative for the hair loss? From what I understand, its action is not hormonal, so it should not affect the eyes the way Propecia does. It is sold here in Sydney without prescription at different strengths to apply direct to the scalp.

Comment

Hey I never heard about the eye side effects of propecia,many of my friend take propecia but they never suffer such kind of eye problems but I am very worried about my itchy dry eyes,My doctor prescribed me Cyclosporine is the medicine for my dry eye.I thing this medication works very well.cyclosporine increases the production of tear in eyes and treats dryness of eye.

Comment

Working...
                    X