This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

I seem to be having every conceivable problem with my eyes. Last year I suddenly developed floaters, including a couple nasty ones. My dry eyes started up around the same time.
    A consult with an eye doctor led in another direction: he performed a blepharoplasty (eye lift) on both sides. Since then I have had punctal plugs put in the lowers on both eyes, and taking low dose doxycycline daily. I get some relief, but I am nowhere close to where i'd like to be.
    I also feel like the skin around and between my eyes is burned (like a sunburn), but there is no visible redness. I haven't read of any similar symptoms here, but I may be searching incorrectly.

I am hoping some of you veterans might have some ideas on additional treatment.

Hi

Do you mind me asking you why the doctor performed blepharoplasty?

Comment

I had really sagging eyelids.

Comment

I'm just a bit confused about the chronology of events.

The blepharoplasty procedure had nothing to do with the problems you presented with initially? You said:

"....Last year I suddenly developed floaters, including a couple nasty ones. My dry eyes started up around the same time. A consult with an eye doctor led in another direction: he performed a blepharoplasty ...."

Comment

The dry eye preceded the eye lift.

Comment

Welcome. Sorry to hear about your troubles!

Originally posted by westsnoop View Post
            I seem to be having every conceivable problem with my eyes. Last year I suddenly developed floaters, including a couple nasty ones. My dry eyes started up around the same time.
            Anything going on at the time that either of these might have been related to? did you get an explanation of the floaters?

A consult with an eye doctor led in another direction: he performed a blepharoplasty (eye lift) on both sides.
            This is often done when the lids are causing problems due to not being able to completely blink properly - which can make it hard for the corneas to get properly lubricated... both since lids might not fully close, leaving exposure, and because the lids are what push tears around on the eyes. So it makes sense to me BUT you wouldn't believe how many people I've heard from who first experienced dry eye after blepharoplasty... so perhaps it really has actually exacerbated your dryness problems. What's the doctor's assessment of your lid function and closure now?

I also feel like the skin around and between my eyes is burned (like a sunburn), but there is no visible redness. I haven't read of any similar symptoms here, but I may be searching incorrectly.
            Are you talking about the eyelids or skin further out? - A lot of people with meibomian gland dysfunction and inflammation in the eyelids get discomfort of various sorts in the lids, lid margins, etc. Wondering if it could be related.

Speaking of which: If they have you on doxy, presumably it's to improve your meibomian glands. Have you had a really thorough MG exam, where they press on the glands to see what the secretions are like? The condition of those could indicate some more treatment possibilities, perhaps.

Are you using lubricant drops that work well for you? If not you might want to look further afield, perhaps look at some of the products other members here use.

What are the main symptoms currently troubling you?
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
            X