Durezol ... trying again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durezol ... trying again

Hey. Posted a few weeks ago to see if anyone was trying Durezol for short-term posterior bleph/MGD control. I've been using it 1x a day in the worst eye for three weeks. Seems to have some effect - more than anything else I've tried. Anyone else?
    Last edited by RobLIC; 04-Oct-2009, 06:31.

What is Durezol?

Thank you for sharing.

Comment

It's a strong steroid approved for a cornea disease called uveitas (sp??) but which I've been prescribed for off-label treatment of post bleph/MGD

Comment

As far as I know uveitis is an inflammation of the inner structures of the eys, not the cornea (surface) of the eye. that is why its treatment requires strong steroids which penetrate deep into the eye.

I am interested to know what is the name of the active substance in this medication.

I think that any strong steroid, tapered to a weaker one over time, will have beneficial results with any eye condition involving inflammation, provided that eye pressure is monitored regularly.

Do you have any positive experience with this medication? Why don't you try systemic doxycycline, Azythromycine drops and weak steroid drops for a longer period of time?

I would think that is a safer and longer lasting effect course of treatment.

Please let me know what you think.

Comment

Rob knows more about treatment than most people on this board and that's saying a lot as we have a lot of very experienced, very knowledgeable people participating here. I'm sure he has been there and done that with doxy etc and has good reasons for what he's on now.

p.s. (((Rob))) welcome back, hope it was a good trip.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I never meant to underestimate Rob's experience, or anyone else's. I know that most of us have been struggling with our condition for a long, long time. I am sorry if what I posted was not necessary information to him....

I did not object to or question the benefits of Rob's treatment, I even endorsed it.

His question was basically whether a strong steroid (durezol) will help with his condition, or whether anyone else has been helped by it.

My answer was that although I have not heard of the medication, it most probably will help him, as it is aimed at resolving strong inflammation. I was only suggesting to him to try a course of treatment with it and then taper it to the more standard treatments, which most surely he has tried but may be not as a supportive therapy after a strong steroid.

My experience is that while I have been on one medication only, it did not achieve much, but when combined with other medications promoted remarkable improvement.

Also, I was interested in the medication itself, I had never heard of it. I am the one benefiting by Rob sharing his experience, because he shared new information. I was just researching it on the internet and sounds like it can help in particularly bad flares of inflammation related to dry eye.

I was trying to share something in return, although I could only suggest well-known treatments.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLIC View Post
              Hey. Posted a few weeks ago to see if anyone was trying Durezol for short-term posterior bleph/MGD control. I've been using it 1x a day in the worst eye for three weeks. Seems to have some effect - more than anything else I've tried. Anyone else?
              Hi,

I have an appointment with my eye doctor in four weeks and was thinking of asking him about prescribing Durezol. You wrote that it seems to have some effect. How you noticed any lessening of your dry eye symptoms since taking this medication?

I would appreciate any feedback/info you give me about your experience using this drug Thanks.

Pam

Comment

Durezol is a steroid and as such can only be used for a limited time as determined by your doctor. I've already had to stop. I gave it three weeks.

In my case, after a lot of refractive surgery, yes, it seemed to reduce some of the inflammation in my meibomian glands, because I always felt "wetter"/more oily after using it. But it's not worth the elevated pressure, risk of cataracts and glaucoma. One thing my doc did do was put me on it concurrently with Alhpagan, to keep the pressure in check - which worked. Good luck.

Originally posted by nycdryeyegirl View Post
                Hi,

I have an appointment with my eye doctor in four weeks and was thinking of asking him about prescribing Durezol. You wrote that it seems to have some effect. How you noticed any lessening of your dry eye symptoms since taking this medication?

I would appreciate any feedback/info you give me about your experience using this drug Thanks.

Pam

Comment

Originally posted by RobLIC View Post
                  Durezol is a steroid and as such can only be used for a limited time as determined by your doctor. I've already had to stop. I gave it three weeks.

In my case, after a lot of refractive surgery, yes, it seemed to reduce some of the inflammation in my meibomian glands, because I always felt "wetter"/more oily after using it. But it's not worth the elevated pressure, risk of cataracts and glaucoma. One thing my doc did do was put me on it concurrently with Alhpagan, to keep the pressure in check - which worked. Good luck.
                  Hi,

Thanks so much for your prompt response to my inquiry about your experience with this medication. I will ask my eye doctor about taking this drug at my next appointment.

Pam

Comment

Working...
                  X