My visit with Dr. Latkany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brooke View Post
    That's good news about the clear oil. My doc told me that my ocular rosacea caused my thickened oil, blocked glands, MGD. Sounds like you caught it early enough. What does he think your main issue is then from the ocular rosacea--aqueous deficiency, inflammation?

Is the acuvail helpful for pain? I used Xibrom before but didn't think it really helped with pain. How long did he recommend you stay on the acuvail?
    I haven't tried the Acuvail yet, but the NSAID I used before was called Nevanac and I was, or still am for the moment, using it 3 times a day and yes it does help with the pain. So he wanted me to which to Acuvail which is preservative free. Part of my problem might have been using drops that contain preservatives like BAK.

Comment

I guess Nevanac is diclofenac, which I use under the name Voltaren.

There are definitely bad effects from the preservatives...but not as bad as the eyes get if I am not on the medication; besides 3-4 drops a day does not deliver really that much preservative to the eye...

Even though-- using preservative free eye drops is soooo much better!!! you should switch to the preservative free ones as soo as you can...

I live in Dubai, and part of the reason for moving here from Europe is the availability of Restasis and other American medications, plus the excellent health insurance which provides the medications and consultations with doctors completely free of charge. I do not order my medications from the US, the hospital does, for example they order the Pilocarpine, which comes in about 10 working days.

Comment

I too have ocular rosacea with mild facial rosacea. I took doxy until I got pregnant. I have controlled the rosacea with using cetaphil cleanser on face and eyelids, and using Cerave moisturizer. I use sterilid once a day in the shower. Other than that, I use Pataday when I'm itching alot, and use preservative free systane once in the morning and once at night. I've tried many things in the past, but this simple regimine has brought me the best relief. You may also try omega-3 supplements like fish oil or flax oil, as they have anti-inflammatory properties. Good luck!

Comment

Caution is Vital

Dave,

I would just caution you when seeing the dermatologist. My experience is that they are not knowledgeable at all regarding eye conditions and skin conditions in and around the eyes. I had gone to one in the past and had been prescribed an ointment for rosacea and when I read through the directions found that there was a strong warning against using this particular drug near the eyes. Just offering a word of advice for you.

MylittleM

Comment

Originally posted by mylittlem View Post
            Dave,

I would just caution you when seeing the dermatologist. My experience is that they are not knowledgeable at all regarding eye conditions and skin conditions in and around the eyes. I had gone to one in the past and had been prescribed an ointment for rosacea and when I read through the directions found that there was a strong warning against using this particular drug near the eyes. Just offering a word of advice for you.

MylittleM
            I totally agree with you about this. I have had rosacea for about 10 years and have been using Klaron in the morning and Noritate at night. About 6 months ago I developed MGD/Bleph with a continually watery right eye. A few weeks ago I read that Noritate can cause watery eyes. I realized the directions said not to put too close to the eyes and I didn't think I had. I just always put a dab on my nose and rubbed it on the sides of my nose (in addition to the rest of my face). I could never find anything that explained how close was too close so I quit using it at all. My face automatically deveoped red splotchy patches after 2 days of not using it. Went back to using it except I don't put it on my nose.

Comment

Originally posted by mylittlem View Post
              Dave,

MylittleM
              Thanks for the advice. It's strange because the main area affected for me is my eyelids. So it seems like a derm should have some knowledge of what to do considering eyelids are actually skin! I will definitely check the labels before putting anything near my eyes though.

Comment

Originally posted by ringo View Post
                You are most welcome...i think you should be taking low doses of doxycycline by mouth as well....i think i the US it is called Oracea.
                Do you know if Doxycycline causes dry eyes? I mean is this not a drug for rosacea? I thought that this could stop inflammation but now i am not so sure. I do not have rosacea. (I am only asking cause it looks like you know alot about dry eyes)

Comment

Originally posted by sanna View Post
                  Do you know if Doxycycline causes dry eyes? I mean is this not a drug for rosacea? I thought that this could stop inflammation but now i am not so sure. I do not have rosacea. (I am only asking cause it looks like you know alot about dry eyes)
                  Oracea is a form of doxycycline. The different is that Oracea does not kill bacteria -- it only deals with inflammation. Since it doesn't kill bacteria, there are less side effects (upset stomach, yeast infections, etc.).

I was taking Oracea for about 3 months (I do have rosacea) and it was not helping my eyes (mgd/blepharitis) so I switched to regular doxycycline.

Comment

Dave-

Did Dr. Latkany examine your eyes for the Demodex mite? Reading much about this mite being the underlying cause of rosacea, how the mites infest the eyelids and can be seen by examination under the microscope. There's also information out there about tea tree oil being an effective treatment for rosacea. Wonder if any of the readers have been treated with this and had sucess?

Comment

catlover,

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by soulshine67 View Post
                        Dave-

Did Dr. Latkany examine your eyes for the Demodex mite? Reading much about this mite being the underlying cause of rosacea, how the mites infest the eyelids and can be seen by examination under the microscope. There's also information out there about tea tree oil being an effective treatment for rosacea. Wonder if any of the readers have been treated with this and had sucess?
                        No he didn't. That is a very good point though. Maybe I will ask my eye doctor in st. louis about this the next time I see him. I would be interested to hear about any trials with tea tree oil as well.

Comment

My visit with Dr. Latkany on 4/2/10

What a surprise to hear I had occular rosacea. He also said I have skin rosacea and my chin looked a little red.. I happen to disagree. I actually think I have great clear skin...lol
                          He said I am using something that is irritating my eyes whether it is make-up, moisturizer, shampoo etc and I should see an allergist. He put me on PATADAY..and to stop using artificial tears as they are doing nothing for me. THIS was another surprise cause I have been on (preserv. free) artif. tears ever since I had my LASIK surgery in 2000. I have history of excessive tearing and red eyes and the only drug that has helped is FML.
                          I was not put on doxcycline..why not?? Have no idea as I have heard this is treatment for rosacea. ALSO..my glands are blocked and producing very little oil. He said they probably have been blocked for years and he's probably correct.
                          So for now..I'm a little confused

Comment

Wow, 10 years later and you find out something entirely new??? I am 10 years post op too. I've gotten the wonderful Sjogrens and other autoimmune stuff in the meantime so I know what my "new" stuff is.

SYE, how is your vision? Mine still sucks after all this time and I'm pretty much settled on that fact. Lucy
                            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                              Wow, 10 years later and you find out something entirely new??? I am 10 years post op too. I've gotten the wonderful Sjogrens and other autoimmune stuff in the meantime so I know what my "new" stuff is.

SYE, how is your vision? Mine still sucks after all this time and I'm pretty much settled on that fact. Lucy

Well don't actually agree with the new diagnosis. Vision has really deteriorated over the last 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by dave25 View Post
                                I haven't tried the Acuvail yet, but the NSAID I used before was called Nevanac and I was, or still am for the moment, using it 3 times a day and yes it does help with the pain. So he wanted me to which to Acuvail which is preservative free. Part of my problem might have been using drops that contain preservatives like BAK.
                                Hi dave,i see u mentioned there that your dr said to keep your eye drops refridgerated.Does this make much of a difference?Reason i ask is cause my drops can be very warm as i carry them around in my pocket all day.Surely this wouldnt reduce their effectiveness,would it?
                                Thanks man

Comment

Working...
                                X