Atrophied lacrimal gland reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atrophied lacrimal gland reference

Someone requested the reference for this statement: "Lacrimal glands atrophy in as little as 36 months from inflammation."

This was taken from a book Dry Eye and Ocular Surface, Stephen Plugfelder, MD, Michael Stern, MD, Roger Bauerman, MD

Thanks Indrep! Would you recommend this book?? I'm always looking for more info on dry eyes these days, so I'm considering adding it to my library... I'm sure I'd be able to find it for sale online...

Comment

Yup... found it on Amazon... $230.

Comment

Two HUNDRED and thirty DOLLARS list price for a book published in 2004
        Well, that's just a smidge out of range of my personal library budget for now.

SAAG: I swear I thought you'd "committed a typo" when I first read your post; but I went over to Amazon and verified that price with my very own eyes.

indrep: as I've said often before, thank you for your ongoing commitment to this board, as well as your generosity in sharing your specialized -- and apparently quite expensive -- knowledge.

Comment

I'm assuming it must be a textbook (and therefore intended for doctors and the like)... those can get pretty pricey!

Comment

Well, I placed an order for a used copy via Amazon.com... "only" $61 (including shipping)... but hey, that's a whole lot better than $230, right?

With my eyes being so crazy dry, it will be ages before I manage to read through the whole thing, but oh well... I consider it dry-eye insurance in case I don't find a local ophthamologist who knows his way around dry eye... I figure the more knowledge I have, the better I'll be able to attack this problem head on!... Besides, even if I DO find a good local ophthamologist, I'd like to understand WHY they tell me what they do, know what I mean?

Plus, I ordered Dr. Holly's textbook from HIS website a while back - it was published ages ago, but apparently most of the research discussed in his book still applies today, so why not take a look at it!...

Between these 2 texts, I should be off to a good start...

Comment

Originally posted by indrep View Post
              Someone requested the reference for this statement: "Lacrimal glands atrophy in as little as 36 months from inflammation."

This was taken from a book Dry Eye and Ocular Surface, Stephen Plugfelder, MD, Michael Stern, MD, Roger Bauerman, MD
              Hi Indrep,

I have an appointment in a few weeks with my eye doctor and I am curious about what the clinical signs/symptoms of lacrimal gland atrophy are. Does a doctor also have to do a biopsy to see if the lacrimal gland has atrophied? Thanks.

Pam

Comment

SAAG
                It is a good read, with some bias so keep that in mind. If I was going to read somethig it would be the DEWS(Dry Eye Workshop) report. Published in April 2007.

Comment

Regarding the bias, after reading that one of the editors (I think??) worked for Allergan, I figured there would likely be some bias in there regarding certain items... especially when they discuss anything even remotely related to Restasis...

So, I will be reading it with a critical mindset... it's good to know that it's a good read though!

And thanks for your other suggestion re: the DEWS report!

Comment

Originally posted by indrep View Post
                    SAAG
                    If I was going to read somethig it would be the DEWS(Dry Eye Workshop) report. Published in April 2007.
                    Thanks so much for suggesting this... I found it easily via Google, and just spent the past hour reading it... I don't dare read any longer or my eyes will make me pay for it... but I plan to get back to this report again - it was extremely informative!

Comment

Working...
                    X