Flaky, irritated skin around eyes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flaky, irritated skin around eyes?

Is it typical for the flaking and swelling of blepharitis to extend beyond the lashline/lid margins? Not only do I look like I'm wearing red eyeliner, but I have flaky, red skin that extends out around the corners of my eyes. On one outer corner, the irritation extends 3/4 of an inch out on my upper cheekbone.

Is this common? Or is bleph more limited to the immediate lid area?

Originally posted by BethW View Post
    Is it typical for the flaking and swelling of blepharitis to extend beyond the lashline/lid margins? Not only do I look like I'm wearing red eyeliner, but I have flaky, red skin that extends out around the corners of my eyes. On one outer corner, the irritation extends 3/4 of an inch out on my upper cheekbone.

Is this common? Or is bleph more limited to the immediate lid area?
    I have had that exact same thing happen to me. I went to the dermatologist a long time ago when I noticed this redness around my eyes and he said it was seborrheic (sp?) dermatitis. He prescribed me some cream to rub on around my eyes, but that really didn't work. Then a few months later my eye doctor prescribed me doxycycline for my blepharitis and the redness around my eyes cleared up. Doxy was really the only thing that cleared that redness for me.

Comment

Thanks Dave. I've been on 100mg of doxy a day (50mg 2x/day) for the last month and I haven't seen any improvement. I was hoping to see some resolution by now. Had a prescription for erythromycin gel but that made it much worse.

I'm thinking of calling my dr. to see if Protopic might be an option. Right now I'm just using a dab of Aquaphor at night.

Comment

Hi BethW

I concur with dave25. I have the same dermatitis around my eyes. For me, it is triggered by contact allergies. It is called periorbital contact dermatitis or preorbital contact dermatitis. It can take several forms of dermatitits such as eczema or seborrhea.

Check out these threads:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=10219
        http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=7170
        http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=9929

A dermatologist is a good place to start. As you can see by reading all the possible allergens that can cause ocular and periorbital contact dermatitis, neomycin (and the other mycins) are high on the list as possible allergens.

In my case, the dermatitis has improved now that I pay closer attention to possible allergens in and around my eyes.

I hope this helps.

Scout

Comment

Try vasaline on your lids at night

Comment

Stella
            hi, I am really interested you say vaseline on your lids.

seb derm/rosacea for me and vaseline is the only thing I find soothing, to clean my eyelids.

my eye Dr suggested soda bic, but even plain water seems to irritate me and he said vaseline to clean was ok if I never got it in my eye, but he was puzzled by it.

have you tried the vaseline? what was your experience?

Comment

Scout, those are great links, thanks It definitely sounds like the erythromycin gel I was using to combat the problem might have been making it worse.

It also sounds like it's time to make a derm appt. This is just the kick I needed to make the call...

Comment

Hi Mosaic
                I have found that vasaline on my lids at night after heat and massage and using antibiotic ointment( in a vasaline/liquid parrafin base )-a little on a q tip along the lid margins followed by the vasaline only, on my outer lids has been my answer
                I never wash it off next morning and only wash it off with occusoft foam at night again before re-applying -This way i am comfortable most of the day and hardly need drops
                Also it solves the horrible problem of the eyeball sticking to the eye lids after a nights sleep
                I think it must get absorbed into the lid itself which seems to keep my MGD at bay

Comment

Hi Stella, What antibiotic ointment do you use. My doctor mentioned something about me using one, but I can't remember the name of it.

Comment

Hi Magoo
                    The antibiotic ointment I use is chloramphenicol-other name chloramycetin
                    I notice you live in USA
                    I dont think this particular antibiotic is used very much in America
                    It is extremely common as both eye drops and ointment in GB I have never been able to establish why the difference
                    We can even get it OTC here

I do know that my GP has told me it has become totally ineffective as an antibiotic for the eyes due to overuse and she lets me have it as Rx simply because she thinks it is the emolient effect of the vasaline/liquid parrafin base that is helpful to me

Comment

Thanks, Stella. That's interesting about the ineffectiveness as an antibiotic but the emollient effect still working. Apparently, the positive outcome for you is from the base that's used. Something more to think about :-)

Comment

Originally posted by stella View Post
                        Hi Mosaic
                        I have found that vasaline on my lids at night after heat and massage and using antibiotic ointment( in a vasaline/liquid parrafin base )-a little on a q tip along the lid margins followed by the vasaline only, on my outer lids has been my answer
                        I never wash it off next morning and only wash it off with occusoft foam at night again before re-applying -This way i am comfortable most of the day and hardly need drops
                        Also it solves the horrible problem of the eyeball sticking to the eye lids after a nights sleep
                        I think it must get absorbed into the lid itself which seems to keep my MGD at bay
                        Stella, thank you very much that is helpful and reassuring.

I also lately tried lacrilube smeared over my eyelashes at night. It seems to calm the redness of my lids and make them less swollen. Ive also had that eyelid welded to eyeball thing which has eased.

so I shall try your hot packs. I do hot packs mornings only at the moment

also thats good to hear about the chloramphenicol - I'll keep that in mind. I wonder if that comes over the counter ?, I will ask. I know the drops do

Do you also buy the occusoft foam, or prescription? I havent found anything that suits me to wash, apart from wiping off the vaseline.

what you say about the moisturisers being absorbed is exactly how I feel as well!

Comment

Hi again mosaic
                          You can definately get chloramphenicol eye ointment over the counter,without perscription in UK.It is made by optrex and called "infected eyes"This version does'nt suit me as it is in mineral oil which i dont seem to be able to tolerate
                          I had to get mine on Rx 'cos I need the makes which are in petroleum jelly(vasaline)and liquid parraffin --- names of makes that suit me are ---
                          Medicom ;Tubilux ;and Martindale pharmacies -- that last one also contains wool fats which seem to be OK for me
                          You may be different of course
                          The occusoft -- I got the foam and it lasts forever --
                          ITs in a large aresol type container
                          I got mine from the internet I think it was from "The Lens catalogue"

Comment

Working...
                          X