How can you tell if your oil glands are clogged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you tell if your oil glands are clogged

how can you tell if your eye glands are clogged? i do the warm compress and massage but was wondering if it is possible to tell whether the glands are clogged? i know when the doc checks he looks through the slit lamp...thanks for any responses!!
    Jenny

It's quite difficult - sometimes you can see if you have a strong enough magnifying mirror (especially the ones in the top lid margin - they look like whiteheads ready to pop)

Sometimes you just "know" because your eyes feel uncomfortable, and dry.
    Also, when you do your warm compresses, if you don't get a bit of oily film on your eyes when you've finished, you know nothing is coming out.

But it is hard to self-monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
      how can you tell if your eye glands are clogged?
      I don't think this is possible - certainly not for everyone anyway. Clogging can be visible because of 'plugs' visible at the orifices where you can see them, or the glands can be blocked much further back. Hence the development more recently of new tools and techniques both to visualize the glands and to clear blocked glands.

Even if you go to the doctor, many don't have the skills & experience to give you a really accurate assessment of the condition of the MGs. It may mean finding someone who emphasizes this in their practice.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
      X