Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AzaSite Dosing

Hi all,

I have posted here before but not for a while.

I am currently using AzaSite for MGD. I have had eye problems for many years and never knew what was going on....and I'm still trying to understand it. But basically I have MGD and had a fairly bad case of anterior blepharitis when I was pregnant in 2008. I have been aggressively treating the bleph since the fall of 2008. It has been a ROUGH experience. I do the usual: compresses, lid scrubs (using SteriLid), omega 3s, and occasional lubricating drops. Things aren't as good as I would like them to be, though they are a lot better. But still I lose a lot of lashes and get burning. And the eyelids are so, so red and tired looking, and the eyeballs are reddish and irritated looking.

The other day I sort of coerced my opthamologist into giving me AzaSite, and I LOVE IT!! It has done wonders for the MGD, the itching at the lash line, the lash loss, and the appearance and feel of my eyes. The redness of the lids is gone. Tonight will be day #8 (two days using two drops per day, and the rest using 1 drop per day). My question is: what is the dosing regimen for using this off-label for blepharitis? I read that it's used for a month at 1 drop per day...what have others done? What happens when the month is over? Will the bleph just come right back? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance.

I think the dosing really varies; there is no standard. Some people use it for one month, then go off it for a month (or some variation on this); others use it continuously.

I asked Dr. Latkany about this in his Q&A Forum, so you can see what he said there.

For me, I use it continuously because the really bad symptoms returned both times I tried to stop. (My eyes are far from OK even while using Azasite, but it does help.) But your eyes might respond just as well to cycling on and off.

Comment

I used it for 3 months and then went off it. It's been about 2 months since I have used it and I haven't noticed my eyes getting worse. I guess it's going to be up to the preference of your doctor, but like the above poster said, I have seen doctors prescribe Azasite for many different lengths of time.

Comment

Working...
      X