What is your best tool in fighting Bleph/MGD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your best tool in fighting Bleph/MGD

I recently was diagnosed with Bleph/MGD and am doing the warm compresses/lid scrubs, plus Freshkote, Omega 3s, Azasite, and ointment. It's only been a few days but I am already feeling discouraged. The first couple days I saw a big improvement, now I seem to be almost back where I started. I am following everything the doctor told me to do. I am wondering if anyone has found anything different that has really helped them with these conditions? I know I need to be more patient, and I am still hopeful that I will recover. I ordered the Tranquileyes before this diagnosis and am wondering if these will help with Bleph/MGD and/or if anyone with these conditions has experience with this product?

i'm 22, i've tried all the same stuff as you for MGD (I don't have dry throat and I don't think I have much aqueous deficiency), and IPL far and away blew those other treatments out of the water. i still have quite a ways to go, but once the oils starting flowing the difference in pain and menthol sensation was huge

Comment

Hey Michael,

How many IPL treatments have you had? How much of a difference did it make for you?

Comment

3 treatments so far...didn't notice big benefit until a week after last treatment. my eyes have gone from being in unbearable pain with menthol sensation, to being significantly more functional, although still in pain. my glands started out at 20% unblocked and now are about 45%, and I can actually feel alot of meibum coming out of the glands now (whereas before I had no oil upon expression) and can also feel the tender spots where the glands are still closed. looking forward to my next few treatments

Comment

I wonder, how long before IPL becomes a standard treatment in MGD ? I read all those success comments and I feel happy for all of you but at the same time it's so frustrating...I'm still struggling with warm compresses. They do little if nothing.

I can't spend 4 months or more in the US, but I can't wait 4 years for one Dr to have the decency to perform this treatment...arghhhh I hate this country

Comment

Michael,

Congrats on the improvement of your symptoms! That must feel great. The biggest problem with my blepharitis/MGD would be the eye redness and that same menthol sensation that you described. Since Ive been to several doctors over the years with no real improvent, I have been looking at IPL as an option. Where did you get your IPL done? How much did it cost you? I called a place in the Los Angeles area, but they said it would be $700 for my first treatment!

Cristian,

Saludos!Que otros tratamientos has hecho por tu MGD? No hacen IPL en Espana?? Eso de los warm compresses no me ayuda tampoco. Estoy planeando una vacacion en Italia y Espana posiblemente al fin de este ano. Como es Valencia? Buena suerte con todo.

Comment

I can't help but wonder why you haven't looked at my lengthy guide for treatment options for Blepharitis and MGD. The alternatives that I offer (basically allergy control) are far less intrusive than what you're doing, and there's really no harm in trying them. I hope you try them and I hope they help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie27 View Post
                Michael,

Congrats on the improvement of your symptoms! That must feel great. The biggest problem with my blepharitis/MGD would be the eye redness and that same menthol sensation that you described. Since Ive been to several doctors over the years with no real improvent, I have been looking at IPL as an option. Where did you get your IPL done? How much did it cost you? I called a place in the Los Angeles area, but they said it would be $700 for my first treatment!

Cristian,

Saludos!Que otros tratamientos has hecho por tu MGD? No hacen IPL en Espana?? Eso de los warm compresses no me ayuda tampoco. Estoy planeando una vacacion en Italia y Espana posiblemente al fin de este ano. Como es Valencia? Buena suerte con todo.
                Hola Eddie! Tú Español es muy bueno Estoy haciendo los tratamientos comunes: compresas, masajes, limpieza...y estoy tomando minociclina 100mg/día y aceites de pescado omega-3 3g/día. Tengo que hacerlo durante tres meses. No tengo demasiado entusiasmo porque hasta ahora no he visto resultados. Aquí se hace IPL pero para tratar enfermedades de la piel, no creo que ningún oftalmólogo esté enterado de sus beneficios para los ojos.

Te recomiendo que vengas a Valencia si quieres disfrutar del mar mediterráneo, sus aguas transparentes, la arena blanca y una ciudad moderna llena de edificios futuristas. No vengas a fin de año porque hace mucho frio, te recomiendo que vengas en los meses de Junio, Julio, Agosto o incluso Septiembre. Busca "ciudad de las artes y ciencias" en google, verás que bellas imágenes.

Saludos, cuídate!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie27 View Post
                  I called a place in the Los Angeles area, but they said it would be $700 for my first treatment!
                  When I talked to Assil's office and they told me $750 per treatment I said no thanks. If the treatment really works why can't they make it affordable to those of us that are in serious need, seems to me to be just another money making gimick but some people have had success with it.

Comment

The huge price increases were a shock to me... Weren't they only charging people $375 per treatment last summer?!?!? Surely their costs of providing the treatment haven't gone up THAT much! But I guess they figure if they can get people to pay these huge amounts of money, they might as well
                    make a few extra bucks off it... great for the doc, but it sucks for us...

Comment

eddie,

i think alot of what goes into your treatment plan has to be your situation and diagnosis. my mgd came on literally overnight after a bad facial sunburn, so i always thought that inflammation of the glands rather than allergies was my problem. ipl directly targets this inflammation. yes it costs $750 per treatment, which is a huge sum of money and quite unfair when you see how long the treatment lasts (maybe 10 minutes), but unfortunately desperate times call for desperate measure. the treatment is a bit psychologically challenging because you have no idea if or when it'll work.

again, i would recommend the treatment. i'm really hoping for a resolution of my symptoms cause my eyes still hurt alot, but it's nice to be functional again and able to drive/ read/ world. it's not gonna work for everyone but it definitely makes a significant difference for some people

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
                        The huge price increases were a shock to me... Weren't they only charging people $375 per treatment last summer?!?!? Surely their costs of providing the treatment haven't gone up THAT much! But I guess they figure if they can get people to pay these huge amounts of money, they might as well
                        make a few extra bucks off it... great for the doc, but it sucks for us...
                        I was also shocked; My expectation was to pay around $400 per treatment. Like you said, they figure that they can get people to pay these huge amounts and they can make nice little profit. Capitalism at its best I guess
                        I cant really afford it right now, but hopefully sometime soon.

Michael,

My MGD came on very gradually and before I knew it I was in this mess. How long have you had it now? From 1 to 10 what were your eyes before and what are they now? Did you have eye redness? If so, did it help with the redness? Ugh the eye redness really sucks. I am glad to hear you are having some improvement though. Keep us updated.

Comment

my MGD came on literally overnight, so thats why i always attributed it to one event (a sunburn). i never used eye drops once in my life and i also wore contacts really comfortably 14 hours a day for years

only about three weeks ago, I struggled to keep my eyes open without pain medicine. the severe burning was significant reduced after I used azasite a few months ago, so i can't really define from 1-10 how much pain I was in now (before my 3rd tmt)...it's a weird thing to describe, my eyes weren't always in so much pain but had horrible menthol sensation and felt like open blisters

now, my eyes feel much much 'fuller,' I rarely have menthol sensation, and I can actually sense the oil flowing into my eyes. my eyes are still not in a good place at all and I'm really struggling (I'm always thinking about them), but there is no doubt a significant difference. i'm still praying for full resolution of my symptoms and think i have a long way to go (my glands were only 40% unblocked after the last treatment), but for me the $2250 ive spent so far has been worth getting rid of the debilitating menthol and pain symptoms that were basically keeping me from functioning. hope that helps

Comment

oh also, I only had eye redness when I was at my absolute worst, but typically my eyes have been as white as possible

Comment

My best Tools for Fighting Blepharitis/MGD is the Mastrota Meibomian Paddle to express the Glands, and stopping Hot Compresses....Just stopping hot compresses and using the Meibomian Paddle make a huge difference...the Hot compresses just irritate the Eyelids and make your eyes feel dryer, besides you have to use enough heat to melt the oil, which irritates the lids and your eye itself making your eyes even more sensitive to light, and just causes more irritation...I am not an Advocate of Hot compresses period...

Fish oil is useless for Meibomian Gland Dysfunction, and does next to nothing for true sufferers of MGD. Those that do notice a difference are those with tear deficiency or very mild dry eye. not for the full-blown Meibomian Gland Dysfunction sufferer. I don't feel that Fish oil affects the oil composition of those that have inflammation in the eyelids. I mean seriously, if Fish oil was so miraculous, than why haven't the majority of people who don't have MGD they've never taken fish oil in their lives or omega 3 supplements..they eat the supposedly "bad omega 6 fatty acids" from the american diet that cause "inflammation"...I don't think Fish oil is that significant in the treatment of true Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. your body only needs very small amount of the essential omega 3 fatty acids, that are found in most foods in extremely low quantities.

I think the immune system is the problem, a malfunctioning one.

rhad

Comment

Working...
                              X