Azasite instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azasite instructions

I was prescribed azasite yesterday & doc told me to put on my eyelids.
    The instructions from the pharmacy say in the eye.

Any idea why I would put on eyelids instead of in eye for MGD treatment?

Thanks!

I don't know of anyone being told to put it on the eyelids themselves, but some people rub it on their lid margins (I am guessing this is what your doctor meant) instead of putting a drop right in the eye because it irritates their eyes too much. I am currently using Azasite and while it can sting (especially the inner corners of my eyes for some reason), I definitely find it bearable, much moreso than Restasis in fact. I use it as I'm going to bed; did your doctor tell you to do that as well? If you can tolerate actually putting it in your eye, I would suggest doing that because it will likely be more effective than just rubbing it on the lid margins. Might want to consult your doctor to double check though just in case there was some reason he didn't want you to actually put in in your eye, although I highly doubt it. Also, store the bottle upsidedown because Azasite it very viscous and it will be much easier to dispense this way.

Good luck!

Comment

Since the instructions your doctor gave you do not match what the pharmacist put on the bottle, I'd call the doctor's office and ask for a clarification.

I have heard of people applying Azasite to their eyelids only. My doctor told me that it is like the "Z-pack" of eye drops. It knocks any excessive bacteria out -- bacteria that can contribute to MGD problems. He told me that I need to "keep the bacteria under control," which is why I do lid scrubs twice a day and otherwise keep my hands away from my eyes. Azasite is another tool in the bacteria-control-arsenal.

That said, it does contain BAK and can sting like the dickens if you put it in your eye. So, sometimes doctors recommend coating your lid margins with it instead of actually instilling it into the eye. And, if you try it in the eye and cannot tolerate it, you can try it on the lid margin only instead.

(When I used it, I put a big drop in each eye, squeezed my eyes shut and rubbed the Azasite that oozed out all over my lid margins. I kept my eyes closed and went to sleep. That way, it was sitting there all night, doing its work. It was very effective for me, and I believe it helped me a lot.)

I recommend shaking the bottle well before using it, especially if it's going in the eye.

Good luck & I hope it helps you!

Comment

Working...
      X