Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forehead extremely greasy > dry eyes

Hi ,
    I have had dry eyes (mainly computer (over)usage + airco induced altho I also had LASIK).

I have noticed that whenever I have periods of extreme oily/greasy skin (forehead / entire head) that I get that "gritty" feeling I have when I have dry eye.

How are those two related ? (if any relation whatsoever)

Theirs a relation, I'm sure most have noticed the same thing as what you described.. wish we knew exactly what connects those two...I doubt it's just hormones, that's just what doctors usually tell you because they don't really know, just like we don't

rhad

Comment

oh wow...

I thought I was the only one who was experiencing that! Yeah my hair goes flat..feels greasy...in about 8 hours after showering...the eyes are bad also at that time...what the heck? Glad to know Im not the lonly one though! Very interesting...

Comment

also , it's very humid here where I live right now (hotter weather and rainfall)
        that seems to aggravate the above mentioned condition.

Weird huh > the more moist in the air , the more gritty feeling / dry eye ... just because my face or eyelids are so greasy ...

last nite , before goin to bed, I smeared some Nivea Youth (against oily skin) on my right upper and lower eyelids (that's my only problem-eye).

Will feedback on the progress.
        But indeed , interesting to see whether eye conditions will approve along with skin conditions. Please keep me updated on your progress too.

Comment

Do you have acne? Or just greasy?

Comment

no acne, just very greasy

Comment

Sebaceous dermatitis = clogged meibomian glands

Sebaceous skin type, greasy hair (maybe flaky scalp - Malassezia yeast thriving, ie dandruff; maybe silvery patches around hairline, upper back, that don't tan, ie Tinea) = meibomian glands clogged up = evaporative dry eye. (Seen 2 dermatologists, 4 ophthalmologists, 5 optometrists, about this..)

Normal shampoo with tea tree ingredient, occasional use, has cleared littlemermaid's scalp, red dryness behind ears, even mild seb derm on upper back. However: rinse eye area and face very thoroughly with fresh warm water in case it causes more eye problems or facial skin inflammation.

Relieve meibomian glands with warm shower water etc, or join us in the MGD and blepharitis threads! http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/forumdisplay.php?f=126

Careful what you smear round your eye, Wolfie - it is definitely going onto the eye surface - also make sure doesn't give you blepharitis. Our docs all say use warm water, very soft cloth or disposable eg cotton wool.

rhad - how do we change our nutrition to reduce sebum production?
              Last edited by littlemermaid; 27-Mar-2010, 07:42.
              Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Littlemermaid - I was going to suggest something similar... seborrheic dermatitis. I recommend getting all the dandruff shampoo there is (there are different active ingredients) and rotate through them using a different one every day. Let the suds run down your face, over the forehead, behind the ears, etc.
                Last edited by spmcc; 27-Mar-2010, 14:49.

Comment

Skin inflammation from oily skin or scalp treatment

I'm with you spmcc - please be very careful everyone to avoid damaging function of meibomian glands, which are sebaceous.

If you have eye symptoms from a skin condition, an everyday product that other people use fine (acne wash, dandruff shampoo, soap) may cause increasingly inflamed sensitive skin and you'll be joining us on the chronic ocular rosacea thread. Please use the least aggressive products that suit your skin (pref. unperfumed) and give it 4/5 days regular use to start working. Avoid stripping skin of oil and stimulating more sebum production and sensitivity. Please avoid eyes and rinse face thoroughly with warm water. Keep eyes very clean with fresh warm water.

The rosacea forums are full of people managing oily skin and seb derm, some of whom have resolved their mild eye symptoms. These guys moisturise and sun block to preserve the barrier. Their one goal - avoid skin inflammation.

http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_Forum/
                  http://rosacea-support.org/community/
                  Last edited by littlemermaid; 29-Mar-2010, 02:07.
                  Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Working...
                  X