Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is considered a good TBUT ?

Hi all,

I've taken a little time off lately from this forum. I just want to say I've met a great Dr. who actually has a clue about this condition and I was diagnosed with evaporative dry eye due to obstructive meibomianitis.

My TBUT was 4/3 secs the first time I saw him, and 2 months later,..after expressing my lids 4/times a day (no heat involved) my TBUT was 8/6 secs.

From what I've read, the minimum normal TBUT is 10 secs. I'm not that far, huh? However, my eyes feel so uncomfortable.

I wonder what TBUT is considered normal ?

Hey cris,

just checking up on everyone... my eyes dont bother me anymore nowadays (except for a strange stabbing pain that lasts one second, i dont know what thats about). Tomabarleans flaxseed oil, it helps me a lot.. and if you have rosacea AVOID YOUR TRIGGERS...mine is computer screens.. my face starts swelling and itching. ANd certain foods, not sun or exercise.

MY TBUT is still low but i never feel my eyes anymore.. just a little sometimes so the measure is really subjective. And I just came back from a dermatologist who called me crazy when I said I had rosacea..

Comment

Originally posted by Chemia
      Hi Cristian, good having you back. As far as TBUT even that has no simple answer. From what I have read and experienced, and believe me very few doctors know that, the TBUT varies with the amount of flourescein used. Some doctors apply the drops directly from the bottle with a dropper, while others use a prewetted strip. The prewetted strip had less than 5 microl while the dropper is between 20 to 40 microl. So if the strip is used than a TBUT of 7 is considered good and if larger amounts are used then 10 is normal. I also came across that finding in the 2007 Dry Eye Workshop.
      I would say your TBUT has greatly improved even though your eyes feel lousy - I am in the same boat. My TBUT went from 3-5 to 7-8 but my eyes feel sore and crappy all day.
      So did you eventually get the probing done?
      Hi Chemia,
      I want to have it done, but my Dr. keeps saying that my case is only mild and expression by itself will do the work if I am persistent. I will not hesitate to ask for the probing if my TBUT goes back to were it was in the beginning. By the way, she just used a dropper and repeated the test like 3 times.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemia
        I am glad your doctor is working with you. Could you tell us a bit more what gland expressions involve. Plus so many of us have meibomian gland problems it would be nice to have a youtube video with a demo, maybe you want to volunteer or anyone out there could.

What I do is to put my finger parallel to the edge of lower eyelid, just below the eyelashes and press lightly for about ten seconds. And that's it. You don't actually have to see the oil coming out to know if it is working or not.

Comment

There is a youtube video of mg expression, although I don't know where to find it. Someone had a link on the forum not too long ago. Lucy
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1LLFgdw9Z0

I do this and I don't see anything coming out.
            Last edited by Ariel; 07-Aug-2010, 06:35.

Comment

Working...
            X