Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can it be determined if there is low meibum production or poor meibum quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can it be determined if there is low meibum production or poor meibum quality?

I don't know if my meibomian glands are blocked. I've checked my eyelid margins with an x20 mirror and I don't see white heads so I'd like to know if there are any tests that can be performed to check oil production and quality.

I have the same question as yours. Ask many eye doctors. They said.. they don't know. Anyone knows???

Comment

I've recently learned it is possible to measure the thickness of the lipid layer to determine if enough sebum is being secreted by the MGs and it is also possible to analyze the lipid composition. My eye doctor just told me I'm not producing enough sebum so the question I should be asking now is if something can be done to stimulate the MGs to function as they should. I don't think so but hopefully I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariel View Post
        My eye doctor just told me I'm not producing enough sebum so the question I should be asking now is if something can be done to stimulate the MGs to function as they should. I don't think so but hopefully I'm wrong.

How your doctor know you do not produce enough sebum?

Comment

My blocked mebomian glands were demonstrated by my optician doing digital photos of both back and front of my eyes .He enlarged the pics of the front and showed me all the blockages -thats how i was first diagnosed
          When i go to him now he presses on the lower lids to express oil and always says the same thing - very little oil !!

Comment

Working...
          X