This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systane Balance for MGD

I went to a new eye doctor today and he mentioned that Systane has a new drop called Balance coming out anytime now that is specifically targeted at MGD. While I doubt it will be revolutionary or a panacea, I can't find much about it on the web. Has anyone else heard anything about this drop, how it works, or what it claims to do? Thanks.

Alcon make Systane and there isn't anything about this on their website.

There is a tear called Natural Balance - Medline Industries.

I wonder if it's that?

Comment

I found this on the Alcon "short term pipeline" page.
      http://www.alcon.com/en/research-dev...m-pipeline.asp
      Not much information about it, other than it is "due for submission" - whatever that means - in 2010.

I wish there was more info on it, it sounds interesting.

Comment

Oops - didn't spot that.

It's short on information though.

Comment

A quick search of the web today indicated that Systane Balance is now available at Walgreens, but I still can't find anything about it on Systane's on web site. Based on the packaging, the active ingredient is 0.6% polyethylene glycol and its marketed as a "restorative formula" designed to restore the natural tear's lipid layer. If anyone has tried it or soon tries it, please post your feedback. Thanks.

Comment

Not heard about Systane Balance. My eye doctor told me to use Refresh Optive because it has 2 lubricants - CMC and glycerin. From what I understood, the glycerin helps the drops stay on the eyes longer. I like it because it doesn't make my vision blurry when I first put the drops in where as other products I have tried that have higher amounts of lubricants in them are thicker and blur vision when you first put them in.

Comment

Duane Reade in NYC started carrying Systane Balance last week. They went for more of a blue than a green with the packaging. There's a preservative listed - not BAK, don't remember what it was tho.

Comment

I happened to pick up a bottle the other day..I showed it to my eye doc and she was pleased that I had spotted it.

-Hydroxypropyl guar (which my doc thought would be helpful)
                -mineral oil
                - polyoxl sterate
                -POLYQUAD
                -0.001% preservative (doesn't say what kind?)
                -sorbitan tristerate
                -sorbitol
                -purifed water

Unlike Soothe eyedrops which clouded my vision for a sustained period of time, the cloudiness seems more minimal. "Feels good" in the morning when I put it in.

It's a pretty small (10 ml) bottle for the price,

Comment

my doc in Louisville told me about it 3 weeks ago but warned there is a preservative in it-which i don't tolerate.. he did say that they will be making the same drop in the non-preserved way as well-in vials.. not sure when it will come out unpreserved but when it is i am trying it!!
                  Jenny

Comment

Have had it around for a month. Eh.

Comment

Just got it from Dr. Toyos. Haven't tried it....but do not have high hopes as ALL lubricating drops irritate me. I will report the results when I try it for a month.

Comment

Got a sample today from a new optometrist I saw. He said to continue to use oasis and to also use this systane balance for mgd. I am a little leary to use it because of the preservatives though.

Comment

does anyone know what the preservative used in this drop is???
                          Jenny

Comment

These are the ingredients of Systane Balance:

Active Ingredients: Propylene Glycol (0.6%) (Lubricant)

Inactive Ingredients: Boric Acid, Dimyristoyl
                            phosphatidylglycerol, Edetate Disodium, Hydroxypropyl
                            Guar, Mineral Oil, Polyoxyl 40 Stearate, Polyquad
                            (polyquaternium-1), Sorbitan Tristearate, Sorbitol, Purified
                            Water, May Contain, Hydrochloric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide
                            (to adjust pH)

Don't know for sure which is the preservative, perhaps the boric acid?

Comment

How does systane balance help with MGD???

how is this new drop supposed to help with MGD? I don't understand... Does it help keep the glands open along with the warm compress./massage and wipes? i am confused? Is there a doctor or Pharm. Rep who could answer this???
                              Jenny

Comment

Working...
                              X