ocular rosacea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ocular rosacea

I think i have ocular rosacea but how can i get my doctor to take it seriously? I really want to try doxy as i think it's my last hope
    Last edited by peepers; 04-Jul-2010, 06:18. Reason: spelling error

Peepers

Have you asked your consultant or GP? If so, are they against prescribing it?

I have taken Doxy for years but changed to Minocycline a few months ago, just because it was gentler on the stomach. This was the (eye) consultant's suggestion; then I just wrote a note to my GP and she changed my repeat prescription.

Doxy has a few side effects but not everyone feels these. You should have your blood pressure checked if you have taken it for a while - I've always been fine but I take care of my health anyway. Of course I would rather not have to take anything at all........! Doxy might help but it generally takes a few weeks for any benefits to kick in.

Comment

Could somebody please refresh my poor memory... wondering how long one can take doxy for - months, years? and at what dose?

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron77 View Post
        Could somebody please refresh my poor memory... wondering how long one can take doxy for - months, years? and at what dose?
        The dose can vary from 200mg per day down to 20mg per day.

At 50mg per day and lower, you would only be getting the anti-inflammatory effects and NOT antibacterial effects. Because of this, these low dose regimens are ideal, IF you respond well to them.

Some people don't respond to these very low doses, and must take more...

Also, many people are started on a higher dose of, say 100-200mg per day for maybe a month, and then they will either discontinue the med, or go down to a lower maintenance dose (ex. 20-50mg per day).

You can take doxy for years if necessary, but this isn't ideal. A couple of the concerns with long term use are: potential to develop resistance to it's antibacterial effects, and the potential to develop ulcers (it can be hard on your stomach) ... of course there are other issues too... but those are the big ones that came to mind first....

There are many different ways to take doxy, but the less you can get away with taking, the better!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemia
          The point is we have to be aware that all meds can have some side effects, some more serious than others and we need to make informed decisions whether the benefits outweigh the risks.
          Well said!

Comment

Originally posted by irish eyes View Post
            Peepers

Have you asked your consultant or GP? If so, are they against prescribing it?

I have taken Doxy for years but changed to Minocycline a few months ago, just because it was gentler on the stomach. This was the (eye) consultant's suggestion; then I just wrote a note to my GP and she changed my repeat prescription.

Doxy has a few side effects but not everyone feels these. You should have your blood pressure checked if you have taken it for a while - I've always been fine but I take care of my health anyway. Of course I would rather not have to take anything at all........! Doxy might help but it generally takes a few weeks for any benefits to kick in.
            I havn't asked either of them yet.Was going to ask my eye doc next time i see her but not sure when that will be.Im just assuming i've got ocular rosacea as i experience mild facial flushing & my eyes are chronically red.She has never give me a diagnosis to be honest.Thanks for all your responses

Comment

If it's easier to see your GP, then I would certainly mention it. It's likely that she/he knows more about your medical history than the eye doctor - so would be better able to advise.

The frustrating thing for us all is that the condition can manifest as minor irritation or a severe corneal compromise. Treatment is ususally based on the severity of presentation, there are no shared opinions on that either.

Comment

Working...
              X