Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can seborrheic dermatitis and ocular rosacea be told apart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can seborrheic dermatitis and ocular rosacea be told apart?

I've seen pictures of both and it doesn't appear to be easy. Perhaps it is for a dermatologist but I'm now in remission so I'm afraid I may not be able to find what I have.

How important is it for me to know which of the two I'm suffering from as far as my DE treatment is concerned?

Although I was diagnosed to be suffering from stress-related dermatitis a short time before I developed DES, my MGs are not producing enough oil and as far as I know seborrheic dermatitis should be causing them produce too much of it. Is this always the case? If it is, should my sebum deficiency automatically rule out the possibility of me having SD?
    Last edited by Ariel; 18-Aug-2010, 07:19.

Seb derm v acne rosacea - MGD

OK, I'm working on this one. I'll dig out refs for you; search Pubmed http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed on meibomian gland and constituent parts of normal meibom for the latest theories on what's happening in the MGs and what type of sebaceous gland they are (don't know yet). Most derms can't distinguish seb derm/acne rosacea/rosacea inflammation in a mild case, obviously might be some components not all, and we don't know why MGs are blocked yet with rosacea/seb derm. However, one useful comment for distinguishing seb derm components: redness behind ears, flaking behind ears, on neck, hairline, yellow scaling and crusting on scalp or face. Rosacea components: central mask, red shiny nose, vascularisation, papules and pustules due to sebaceous overproduction response infected by propionibacterium acnes or whatever (distinguished from normal acne). Any ophthalmologist who can is a total hero, IMHO.
    Last edited by littlemermaid; 20-Aug-2010, 01:44.
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Thank you little mermaid!

The refs. may be very useful.

It's still unclear to me what I have, particularly now that my skin is clear. I guess I'll have to visit a good dermatologist as soon as I see something. Of everything you mentioned all I remember having was mild redness on both sides of the nose and the central part of the forehead in between the eyes. Initially I was told it was psoriasis.

I will be more observant next time and will do a thorough examination of all facial areas, but my question continues to be if knowing what my skin condition is should affect the DE treatment I'm following.

If having SD or OR is not going to require that I make any changes to it then it doesn't need to be a top priority for me to get an accurate diagnosis.

Comment

Hi, it definitely sounds like seb derm. Red/greasy/flaking skin on the sides of nose and central forehead are strong indications. However unless you also have anterior belph due to seb derm, i do not think there would be any difference in applicable treatments - someone correct me if i'm wrong but it is more likely that your meibomian glands are blocked due to altered composition rather than an under/overproduction of meibum

Comment

I'm curious whether you've ever tried Blink Contacts (if available where you live), or else any contact solution which contains sodium hyaluronate (hyaluronic acid) near top of the list of ingredients.
          I myself have just today started experimenting by smearing a droplet of Blink-Contacts on my eyelids. So far so good, but time will tell.

As for the confusion between rosacea & dermatitis, from having read the Black On White PDF book, as well as Invisible Disease by Nordstrom...

...I read that Swedish doctors & authorities (with those doctors' blessings) deliberately suppressed & ignored research done by both Bjorn Lagerholm & Per Hedemalm for the purpose of helping tech-caused sufferers.

Lagerholm had noted changes in peoples' skin, usually associated with xrays, radiation or seamen/farmers exposed to decades of UV. When his 1986 article on this subject caused a wave of fright, Swedish authorities and professed tech experts claimed there's no dangerous radiation from computer screens.

Understandably, Lagerholm became disillusioned to the extent of declining an invitation from the Swedish Medical Association, though he did send them a note listing analyses of formations in skin - proving them unrelated to acnea rosacea. Among the analyses were: Increased vessels and mast cells which are associated with allergies and inflammation, and which release histamine (hence, symptoms caused by computers.

Just letting you become aware of this, cuz I've learned a zillion times already (through ENDLESS bitter experiences with stealthcare practitioners) that the authorities of "the system" love to use sophisticated semantics such as "rosacea" and "dermatitis" and you-name-it, ad nauseum in order to confuse people. That way, they hope we'll become so tongue-tied, that we'll just take their drugs like good boys and gals, and stop asking them questions such as "why?" while they laugh all the way to the bank, or their cushy ivory towers.
          CHEERIO! HELIO! Dry Eye Minni

sigpic

Comment

Seb derm refs

Ariel: Register for Medscape. In http://emedicine.medscape.com/dermat...papulosquamous you can find 'Blepharitis, adult' and 'Seborrheic dermatitis' http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1108312-overview by Samuel Seldon, East Virginia Medical School - overview and pics might help you on seb derm.

'Seborrheic dermatitis is a papulosquamous disorder patterned on the sebum-rich areas of the scalp, face, and trunk. In addition to sebum, this dermatitis is linked to Malassezia, immunologic abnormalities, and activation of complement. It is commonly aggravated by changes in humidity, changes in seasons, trauma (eg, scratching), or emotional stress. The severity varies from mild dandruff to exfoliative erythroderma.'

Also an overview - http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/723135 Therapeutic Update on Seborrheic Dermatitis, I. Stefanaki, MD; A. Katsambas, MD (Skin Therapy Letter, 6.22.2010)

I am very interested in whether Malassezia products cause an allergic inflammation response, if anyone has any thoughts.

http://www.rosacea-research.org/wiki...f_Inflammation If you're reading up on skin, you'll like this.

Spoon: absolutely; altered composition of meibom.
            Last edited by littlemermaid; 20-Aug-2010, 04:45.
            Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Thanks to all of you-- the information you've included should be very helpful. I'll post again of PM you with my questions after I go through these files.

"the effects of radiation from the computer screen" probably is another topic we all should be looking into.
              Last edited by Ariel; 20-Aug-2010, 11:02.

Comment

Working...
              X