Erythromycin Ophthalmic ointment-ltd use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erythromycin Ophthalmic ointment-ltd use

why do a lot of doctors not want us to use this ointment very often for irritated eyelids? is it bad to use a topical antibiotic for long term use? thanks...
    Jenny

Here's from drugs.com:

"Erythromycin Ophthalmic Ointment USP belongs to the macrolide group of antibiotics. The sterile ophthalmic ointment flows freely over the conjunctiva. Erythromycin base, as crystals or powder, is slightly soluble in water...."

And so on. Being slightly water soluble would probably help its efficacy (I'm guessing).

Plus: "The most frequently reported adverse reactions are minor ocular irritations, redness and hypersensitivity reactions."

You have MGD, is that correct? The anti-biotic would theoretically kill the bacteria associated with that, which is good, unless you have "adverse reactions."

The main reason to limit the time you'd be on it, is that other organisms that aren't killed could possibly grow and take over.

Did the doc write re-fills on your prescription? I've never had one do that. Usually means they don't expect you to use it any longer than it takes to use up the tube.

Calli

PS Wikipedia entries---helpful, here.

I usually end up googling every little word for a med---like "macrolide." Interesting.

Comment

Working...
    X