meibum production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• meibum production

i've been diagnosed several times with mgd,likely due to lasek. not waterdeficient.
    i was wondering since the main cause of all this is not regenerating of the nerves to baselinelevel after the eyesurgery. could it be that the meibumproduction is just low and has never reached the level as before the surgery. my opthalomogist says my meibumorifices are not that clogged,but still my tbut is low.
    could there be a way to accellerate my meibumproduction?
    any imput is welcome!

patrick...

Hi ! Patrick

Have you ask at your doc if your mucin tears is OK ? Because with lasik is one of the problem.

Comment

hi anthos,

isn't mucin just the oil produced by the oilglands in the lids?
      or is mucin maybe the substance produced by the gobletcells?
      anyway i seem to lack the oily part in my tearfilm despite the fact that only a few glands seem to be clogged. the rest is producing fairly clear oil.
      by the way,my tbut varies somewhere from 6 to 8 seconds.
      raising my tbut to lets say around 10 sec. seems to be a goal that will be very hard to reach,if even possible at all.

Comment

Patrick,

Goblet cells are destroyed in LASIK, and, subsequently, the mucin layer is destabilized after the procedure. With the ability to stimulate the production of new mucin, researchers are hopeful that fewer LASIK and dry-eye patients alike will have noticeable symptoms.

Comment

Working...
        X