Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cause of mgd

hi there,

anybody here who can explain why so many people who undergone refractive eye surgery develop mgd/posterior blepharitis somewhere in the course of time?
    i'm diagnosed with mgd myself and i cannot really understand why it is so very hard to reverse this condition.
    could all this be caused by severing corneal nerve endings that never regenerated back to baselinelevel? why did i become symptomatic after several years and not immediately after surgery?
    my guess is that the nerve endings were more severed right after surgery than later on. however,initially i had no problems with dryness whatsoever.
    a lot of questions i know,but i'm so very curious about the root cause of my discomfort.

any input is welcome of course!

patrick...
    Last edited by patrick; 27-Jan-2011, 02:41.

That's my big question too. I don't understand it either. it would make sense that the nerves aren't telling the MG's to push out oil but other than that I don't understand either.

Sorry, no help
    Margaret

Comment

Are you sure?

Are you sure that it has anything to do with the surgery? The reason I ask is I never had LASIK surgery and I'm experiencing severe dry eye, I have not been fully diagnosed, just being told it's dry eye and more than likely systemic, I tested negative for every test including sjogrens. I have heard mostly of this association with the surgery as being right away, so this is confusing and I would be shaking my head too. I agree with you it would make more sense soon after the surgery, improving, if it's going to over time. What do the powers that be say? Do they feel it's related to the surgery?

Originally posted by patrick View Post
      hi there,

anybody here who can explain why so many people who undergone refractive eye surgery develop mgd/posterior blepharitis somewhere in the course of time?
      i'm diagnosed with mgd myself and i cannot really understand why it is so very hard to reverse this condition.
      could all this be caused by severing corneal nerve endings that never regenerated back to baselinelevel? why did i become symptomatic after several years and not immediately after surgery?
      my guess is that the nerve endings were more severed right after surgery than later on. however,initially i had no problems with dryness whatsoever.
      a lot of questions i know,but i'm so very curious about the root cause of my discomfort.

any input is welcome of course!

patrick...

Comment

Working...
      X