Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

moisture chambers dont help-bother my face..anyone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moisture chambers dont help-bother my face..anyone else?

hey
    ok so i finally got some moisture chambers made-wiley x.. nice looking sunglasses.. however when i try to wear them they seem to irritate me even more..yikes.. the closeness to my skin drives me up the wall and honestly i dont think they hold any moisture in. i still end up using drops on a 'bad ' day.. i have sjogrens so i think that when i am having a bad day /flare up the best thing to do is rest and not have anything touching near my eyes...

i am going to see if they help in a car ride monday to my doc who is 2 hours away.. if not my local eye doc said he would return them for me which is super nice..
    i was wondering if anyone else found that moisture chambers didnt help them and /or bothered them??/thanks guys
    Jenny

hi Jenny, the only MCs that have really helped me are Onion goggles. they look horrid but they are the only ones that completly cover me from the air, however they are almost too good, I have to be constantly removing them b/c they get too moist & fog up. I bought a pair of Wiley x but I dunno, they dont seem to fit me as snugly as the OGs.
    miserable in Miami...

Comment

I don't think of moisture chambers as a replacement for drops (most people who need moisture chambers still use drops as well) but more of a way to feel more comfortable and - for those that use too many drops - a way to cut down to a reasonable amount. There are some situations where other issues have to be solved before m.c.'s give enough help to be obvious. But I believe in the cumulative effect of any of these tools that isolate and hydrate the corneas - I see & hear of it often with moisture chambers, night things like Tranquileyes and also Boston sclerals. So it might be worth finding some that agree with you better and sticking it out for awhile.

The problems I run into most often with people trying to use moisture chambers are:

1) Poor fit.
      Some people need a perfect seal before seeing a benefit, but not everyone does.

2) Skin irritation from the foam.
      The solutions to this are mostly either really cheap (Dustbuster-style goggles with the slick firm lining rather than porous foam) or really really expensive (alternative types of shields like Ziena or MEG or custom made).

3) Tunnel vision effect.
      That's probably the hardest thing to get used to: With the really close-fitting foam seals, you have no peripheral vision. I hate that. It's great for people with light sensitivity from dry eye, but otherwise can be hard to get used to.

4) Fogging.

I would be really surprised if they're not helpful in the car. I think there's almost nothing worse on a dry eye than the heat blasting in the car in the middle of winter. (OK well maybe cigarette smoke is worse.)

There definitely are people though who even with trying all the different types of things available don't seem to get a benefit. Nothing for dry eye works across the board.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Moisture chamber fits

I can't do without MC's and without them my eyes ache. Drops last a mere few minutes before they evaporate from my eyes. I use onion goggles at home and currently using Wiley-X Airborne. I don't find either gets so close to my eyes that it's irritating. I agree with Rebecca, it's all in the fit. I do find the onion goggles press near my ear and can cause a headache, but get looser with continued wear.

It's hot in Australia now, I can drive with my car window open and air conditioners don't bother me when using MC's. They've been a life safer.

Comment

Working...
        X