This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amy_NJ View Post
    I am allergic to all of the same stuff. I work with an allergist close to my home. The allergies have improved slightly but not much. I am getting the immunotherapy shots. But the medications I am taking coupled with the eyelid spa and vitamin supplementation have helped considerably.
    hey, what is eyelid spa? do u also have mgd? what type of vitamin do u take? thanks.

Comment

Thanks again all all! I called this morning to make my appointment and, much to my surprise, I see him on Wednesday. I'm a little nervous about my MGD and hope i can be helped (and that he doesn't find any other problems). I'll let you know how it goes. Laurig

Comment

dont give up- IPL has been all that has worked for my issues and the allergies were not the main problem- MGD is. So with IPL i can still take allergy meds to address the secondary- but not painful- issue.

Comment

Originally posted by bp77 View Post
          hey, what is eyelid spa? do u also have mgd? what type of vitamin do u take? thanks.
          The eyelid spa is detailed in Dr. L's book. He'll show you how to do it when you're at his office. I do warm compresses followed by squeezing the oil out with a q-tip. It is effective, but it takes months to work and I have to do it every day. I take Restasis and Elestat eyedrops. I use Azasite on the lid margins on and off to help decrease the bacteria (I don't use it chronically b/c I worry about bacteria resistance). I also use Ocusoft Plus wipes and foam to clean my lids. And I exercise every day and take krill oil, lutein, bilberrry extract, and a lot of beta carotene (either in the form of carrot juice or spirulina). I feel as if each treatment plan alone wouldn't do much for me (except for perhaps the restasis)--I have to do it all in combination. It sounds like a lot but I have it down to a routine. I was also getting sterile ulcers and the restasis helps with that because it's an immune suppressent. It also helps with the allergies because that as well is an immune response. I know restasis is controversial, but it seems to help me with my particular set of problems.

Comment

Originally posted by laurig View Post
            Thanks again all all! I called this morning to make my appointment and, much to my surprise, I see him on Wednesday. I'm a little nervous about my MGD and hope i can be helped (and that he doesn't find any other problems). I'll let you know how it goes. Laurig
            That's great! It is very easy to get an appointment with him. His office has even been accomodating in emergency situations. Please let us know how you make out.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy_NJ View Post
              The eyelid spa is detailed in Dr. L's book. He'll show you how to do it when you're at his office. I do warm compresses followed by squeezing the oil out with a q-tip. It is effective, but it takes months to work and I have to do it every day. I take Restasis and Elestat eyedrops. I use Azasite on the lid margins on and off to help decrease the bacteria (I don't use it chronically b/c I worry about bacteria resistance). I also use Ocusoft Plus wipes and foam to clean my lids. And I exercise every day and take krill oil, lutein, bilberrry extract, and a lot of beta carotene (either in the form of carrot juice or spirulina). I feel as if each treatment plan alone wouldn't do much for me (except for perhaps the restasis)--I have to do it all in combination. It sounds like a lot but I have it down to a routine. I was also getting sterile ulcers and the restasis helps with that because it's an immune suppressent. It also helps with the allergies because that as well is an immune response. I know restasis is controversial, but it seems to help me with my particular set of problems.
              thanks for all the advise, I do everything u do except the elestat and restasis. but i use doxy and i have plugs. still things are not good.

Comment

Hi - I had my appointment with Dr Latkany. It was a little depressing since he said there was nothing I could do about my MGD--only a few glands are functioning. He said I must have had the condition for a very long time. I was diagnosed with Blepharitis about 18 years ago and have been dutifully using Ocusoft nightly since then. My doctor never bothered to check on my Blepharitis and my eyes seemed ok until recently.
                Dr Latkany was very nice and thoughtful. Since I have so many allergies, he suggested I do nothing for now, except cool compresses several times a day and take fish oil.
                I see him again in a month. Laurig

Comment

Hi - I had my appointment with Dr Latkany...only a few glands are functioning. He said I must have had the condition for a very long time.
                  I'm sorry. It must be very frustrating and difficult to hear things are in that state. - Though honestly it's still better than going off and doing a lot of exotic expensive treatments only to find out that they could not have helped.

Remind me what your symptoms are like? There may well be more palliative treatments (in addition to the cold packs) that would help.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Has anyone ever heard of reversing MGD (even a little) when most the glands have atrophied? I guess I'd like to have a little hope. Laurig

Comment

Thanks Rebecca, my symptoms are basically dry eye. Although one eye doesn't bother me too much, the other feels quite irritated under the eyelid. Dr Latkany said they both look equally irritated. He doesn't want me to use any drops just the cold compresses. I tried the Dwell and it felt wonderful in my good eye but seemed to burn and sting the irritated eye. It's going to be a challenge to go without the eyedrops. My eyes feel sore just thinking about it!!!

Comment

I can't remember, have you used moisture chambers yet at all? They're usually a big help with transitioning off (or reducing) drops.
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks again Rebecca, I haven't tried moisture chambers -- I'm assuming they are googles of some sort. I thought I read a post of yours that people, even with atrophied MG's, have been helped with Dwelle? I need to get rid of my inflammation - then I can try some other remedies. Dwelle would be at the top of my list. Laurieg

Comment

I am a patient

Hi - I'm Laurieg a new member.
                            I live in New York so I would not have to travel far if i make an appointment with Dr Latkany. I have MGD that has become difficult to deal with. My skin is very pale and sensitive and I'm not sure whether the warm compresses are just making more inflammation, since my eyelids are now quite pink. I have doing the compresses for about a week, since one eye became quite painful. Even though Dr Latkany is near, he is quite expensive, and for health reasons, I am unable to take any antibiotics-- which I was told by my current dr., is the only thing that would help my MGD. Since I can't do the antibiotics, am I better off saving my money for iPL treatments, and just buying Dr. Latkey's book. If anyone has met with Dr Latkany or knows a lot about what he does, I would really appreciate their advice.I'm quite miserable now so if he is fantastic, maybe my money is well spent with him.
                            And Dr Latkany is well worth at least one visit. Here's why I say this:

I had lasik in 2/06. I have had dry eyes ever since. Last year it became quite unbearable so I decided I needed to find someone more knowledgeable about the condition since my surgeon just kept giving me restasis.

It turns out I had allergies that were really exacerbating my dry eyes. Dr Latkany put my on Pataday and had me tested for allergies.

I had a delayed reaction to mold which the allergist said is not a positive response. Dr Latkany looked at my arm (that's where they test you) and told me not to dismiss the my mild and delayed reaction to the mold and suggested I buy some mold tests.

It turned out that the wall unit A/C in my bedroom was not installed correctly and the moisture that usually drips out the back was just sitting in the unit. It was completely infested with mold. I removed the unit, cleaned it with bleach and had it reinstalled properly.

I saw Dr Latkany again and no more allergies and much less inflammation, irritation and pain.

So we stopped the Pataday and now we are treating the dry eyes ...

Hope this helps.

oops, I see I am a little late ...

Comment

I've got the glasses but how do you keep them from fogging up?

Comment

Sounds precisely what I'm suffering from. It's one eye. Been suffering since 1998. Misdiagnosed/undiagnosed. Now I know it's MGD and I've been told they're atrophied. It's red, swollen, painful. I'm addicted to Oasis Tears Plus and Celluvisc at night, but now that's not even helping. I've done warm compresses, doxy, oils, etc. I'm in Canada, but would go anywhere for help. Did you ever find any solutions that helped .... even a little? Desperate and constantly uncomfortable? Anyone find success with IPL or probing?

Comment

Working...
                                X