Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eye, rosacea or what?

Hello,

I`m almost 25 years old. On 2006 I was prescribed Accutane for my chest acne. Accutane not only did not solve my acne (also made my face and back acne which was really really mild, worse) but caused me dry eyes. My eyes started getting really red and I became addict to vasoconstrictor drops. (I used them for 3 years when I left them and gradually me eyes became less inflamed but never recover 100 %)

It took me awhile to realize that accutane stopped my meibomian glands oil production thus producing tear inestability.

I have all the symptoms of dry eyes and I think that dry eyes is what I suffer from but some doubts araised after reading some posts in Dr. Latkany`s forum section.

My eyes get irritated with the use of computers, wind, air conditioners, etc, well, the usual things. They bother me because I have some permanent veins in my eyes (specially on the left eye) so the mix of irritation+red veins is something I hate. I have better and worse days.

Several doctors have told me it is dry eye and that I produce little oil and that redness is consequence of dry eyes.

But after reading Dr. Latkany`s post, now I have the doubt if there is not another thing.

He said that when eyes get red is rosacea and that if you don`t have oil on the meibomian glands it is because they are clogged and not because there isn`t production.

I don`t know what to think. It is rosacea or dry eye (I don`t have facial rosacea symptoms)? May I have my meibomian glands clogged (I look them carefully and can`t see anything clogged and if I squeeze them nothing comes out)?

What do you think?

Hi. I would recommend that you research accutane and the link to evaporative dry eye. There are many posters here who have problems with meibomian gland function following a course of accutane and there are many threads that discuss this.

Good luck.
    Gretchen

Comment

Working...
    X