Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blepharitis / dry eyes for 10 weeks - now have some shortsightedness

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has had shortsightedness after blepharitis / dry eyes? This is what I am now getting and based on the increase over two months, worried that the shortsightedness will be getting worse quickly (particularly as I've only got one good eye).

I had strabismus / squint in my right eye from when I was primary school age, and two operations. So I can only read large writing with my right eye but my left eye has always been perfect. Stopped wearing glasses at about 10 because it would make no improvement to my right eye.

In the past week, my doctor and optician has told me that my blepharitis is getting better and to keep doing what I'm doing (the usual warm compresses, eyelid hygiene, cold compresses). I first saw my optician in week 3 of my problems and she found slight shortsightedness in my left eye (the good one). I had a retest at the optician last week (week 10) and the shortsightedness is slightly worse. I was recommended to get glasses with a slight correction in the left eye for the shortsightedness. I was told I don't need to wear the glasses but they will help improve my confidence with my vision. It's mainly in the past 2-4 weeks that I've noticed that far away text I used to be able to read is now blurry.

Drops / ointments I've used.
    Week 1: chloramphenicol. This was given to me at A&E - I went in there initially as I thought I had a foreign object in my eye - fortunately there was no foreign object.
    Weeks 3-4: Viscotears - after the first optician visit, they found blepharitis and dry eyes. The optician said use Viscotears as often as needed - now worried I was using it too often, as it was sometimes every half hour.
    Weeks 5-8: Viscotears as before, Lacrilube at night - after a quick visit to the optician, they recommended using Lacrilube at night too.
    Weeks 9-10: Optive - my GP prescribed this to me. This doesn't relieve my eyes as much as the viscotears did, but my eyes have improved over the past two weeks.

At the moment, my blepharitis is not too bad. In the past 3 days, I've only felt the need to put the Optive drops in once. My lid margins are still enlarged but not as bad as they were. I still get the 'heavy eyes' feeling in both eyes, with some slight soreness around the eyelids. At the moment it is the same throughout the day, so I suspect I just have blepharitis / problem with meibomian glands, and not dry eyes. My eyes don't appear red (can't remember if they did when I first got these problems).

I've always been fine with the lack of vision in my right eye, as long as my left eye is fine. Now that my left eye vision appears to be deteriorating, I'm now getting worried that the treatments I've been doing has been causing the deterioration in vision.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Dave

Wow, Dave, sorry to hear about all the troubles. It sounds like a bad situation. To be honest, I am really not sure what could be causing this loss of eyesight - especially since it sounds like you have a complicated medical history with your eyes.

I do have advice for you. Regarding the blepharitis - I have found that most eye doctors don't know what they are talking about when they say the blepharitis is getting better or worse or whatever. They just don't really know what ther are talking about.

I followed my optometrist's advice for 6 months and all I got was inflammed Meibomian Glands with metaplasia etc. etc. The disease kept progressing while my optometrist kept giving me different useless eye drops.

Make sure you figure out what kind of blepharitis you have and how to treat it and GO GET TREATMENT of the blepharitis. Don't just follow what your doctor says blindly. They mean well, but on this matter, they just don't know what they are taking about.

Good luck to you Dave.

NME
    Last edited by NeedMyEyes; 26-Apr-2011, 18:12. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Thanks for your reply. From reading around, blurry vision is a symptom some people get with blepharitis. Seems to be because of the quality of the tear film. Hopefully, if I can treat the blepharitis my vision will get better again (?).
      I agree that I need to find out what type of blepharitis I have. I've got another doctor's appointment tomorrow and will start another post about my symptoms and what I'm doing currently to treat it. I'm finding the same thing as you with the optometrist / optician, but on one hand, they are not doctors so I'm relying on my doctor more now.

Comment

dijon84: We had vision loss on both eyes of 2 lines on the chart during eye surface inflammation. We thought the blepharitis had been fixed by daily Chloramphenicol and began to taper the steroid FML, but the meibom and therefore tear film had not been restored and the surface became inflamed again, but with no red eye at first. The vision came back to excellent, with usual specs, after restarting FML.

The problem would be if the docs were hesitant about recognising surface inflammation without red eye because this takes skill, so I would be asking for someone with an interest in inflammation or at least ask for the anterior segment consultant to have a look. I would take someone pushy to the clinic with you to stress that this is your one good eye and needs priority to cut through 'the team' to someone who calls the shots.

They should be checking your tear break-up time with the green fluorescein dye and checking your visual fields, also retina in case it's macular. Ask the ophth if they think you are aqueous deficient too. You are thinking, like us, lack of tear film might be the cause of inflammation - at this point we needed at least 6 Celluvisc a day to maintain the eye surface + chloramphenicol + FML but this was due to infected bleph. It would be good to hear how you get on today!
        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Working...
        X