Discouraged with lack of progress at five months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discouraged with lack of progress at five months

It has been about five months since my dreaded lasik procedure and it would appear that I am no further ahead dry eye wise.

It looks like my MG are working (sluggishly) and my TBUT varies from 2 to 8 sec. depending on day and how it is measured.

The bottom line is that my eyes are painful. Under a slit lamp my optometrist reports patches of inflammation. Would daily crying cause this kind of inflammation? It has been recommended that I use lotemax/FML to reduce the inflammation and then start with restasis.

Can anyone explain how lotemax/FML reduce inflammation, is it on the cornea or in the lacrimal gland?? What exactly does restasis do?? I feel like I live at the pharmacy and I could literally go for three year stretches of precription free periods.

I feel very discouraged and I don't think I will ever be able to forgive myself for setting myself up for this disaster, this makes me so sad and of course I cry even more. I fear that crying might contribute to the inflammation. . .but it is such an emotional relief. I can't believe that I am being robbed of the ability to gain comfort out of fear of adding to my inflammation!!!

Thank you for listening.

Steroids suppresses inflammation, but can only be used short time since they rise ocular pressure, but are safe in short term and very potent in reducing inflammation quickly. Restasis is a medication for the long term which also suppresses inflammation on the eye surface. If you have aqueous deficiency (lacrimal gland failure) these meds activate the nerves on the eye surface which send signals to the gland to make tears.

If you have a TBUT of 2-8 secs you probably have MGD (but could have both MGD and Aqueous deficiency), steriods or restasis have been known to help this as well, if your eye doctor can see inflammation on the surface its worth trying both of these meds to get that under control.

I dont think crying will make a difference, ive cried many times after getting severe dry eye- and its never worsened my dry eyes!
    I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Working...
    X