Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visus

Hi there,

I went to my optometrist last week for a check up and she measured my visus,because she suspects that my mgd could very well be caused by eye Fatigue.

This wasn't The first time she did this measurement. It was the second time. The first was done in the morning two weeks ago and the second was done in the evening last week.

The reason for this is that she thinks my visus varies a lot during the day. The measurements have proved this theory,because the outcomes are -1.50 in the morning and +1.75 in the evening! yep,what sort of prescription glasses should you try for that one?

The explanation for this to occur could possibly be the lasek laser refraction i had in 2005.
    The pressure in the eye seems to vary during the day,and with a normal healthy cornea this is not very likely to cause problems with a person's visus,but whenever the cornea is thin or weakened it can lead to visus problems which can cause eye fatigue and in the course of time mgd. My optometrist says that i'm not aware that i'm focussing constantly to see things clearly,especially because my overall visus is a 160%! That alone can cause serious eye fatigue.

Another thing that surprised me highly is the difference in tbut morning/evening.
    In the morning it varies between 10 and 12 seconds, but in the evening numbers aren't quitte that good. Between 3 and 6 seconds! Wow! That explains why my eyes always hurt that much in the evening and don' t feel too bad in the morning.

Okay,just wanted to share this experience,because i think it is a bit of an odd story.
    Anyone here who has the same experience with this? For me it surely is the first time i ever heard of this as a possible cause for mgd.

Maybe someone with a little more knowledge about this who can explain a little more than i know now at this point?

Curious to hear about your similar experiences!

Patrick...

Patrick,

This answer is probably not going to help you out very much but I can tell you that about a year or so after LASIK, when the dry eye set in, I was having headaches or pains around my eye sockets. Come to find out, it was not the dry eye causing these types of sensations, but a residual astigmatism and a small correction needed while computing. It was eye strain!

I got a prescription pair of readers for my computing and voila, the headaches and soreness disappeared.

So if you are experiencing any sort of eye strain during the day, especially on a consistent basis, it is possibly contributing to how bad your eyes feel.

Is there anything that can help to correct visus issues? I must admit I am not very familiar with it.

Rose

Comment

Hi rose,

Thanks for your reaction!
      My optometrist indeed suggested to try some prescription glasses to wear while doing any reading,computing or just any task in which reading is involved.
      It is indeed eye strain that is the suspect for causing pain and headaches and eventually can cause mgd,because focussing constantly makes your blink intervals much longer than is desired.
      As a trial i'll first try some of those reading glasses you can buy at any drugstore. (+0,75 or +1.0 or so). Can't wait to see how cool they'll look. Not! Haha..
      No,there is nothing to correct these visus issues. That is what i'm told anyway.
      And there is no way in this world i would ever think about having a touch up procedure done. I think you can fully understand that. Nobody ever is going to touch my eyes with a laserbeam again. Not in this life. No way.

Patrick...

Q

Comment

I'm going to make a couple of suggestions. Typically when vision and symptoms of dry eye worsen throughout the day it is an indication of aqueous deficiency.

Number two when visus vision is affected it could be an orbital nerve issue. Perhaps a visit to a neuro ophthalmologist would be warranted.

Comment

hi indrep,

thanks for your interest.
          i'm always told i'm not very much aqueous deficient,but sometimes i just don't know who to believe anymore. í've had my schirmers tested numerous times and while i don't know the exact figures ,none of these tests ever showed the same outcome.

my optometrist doesn't do schirmers anymore because she finds this test notorious unreliable.
          i fully agree with her.
          she now has the tear lab device and does the osmolarity test. last time the outcome of this test was 293. don't know exactly how to interpret this figure,but she told me aqueous deficiency is not my main problem here.

sorry for maybe asking dumb questions here,but what exactly is an orbital nerve issue?
          and what does a neuro opthalmologist do any different than a regular opthalmologist?

if such a neuro opthalmologist can possibly do anything for me i of course try to get a referral asap!

thanks again..

patrick

Comment

Working...
          X