This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An update from me...

I had another check-up today and it went pretty well. I've been on doxycycline for 3 months now (50mg) and the doc said my MGD has improved. I now have oil and not toothpaste-like secretions flowing. Finally! (I haven't been doing any warm compresses at all in the past few months since they never seemed to help.)

He also gave me samples of a brand new drop - Refresh Optive Advanced. It contains castor oil and is supposed to work on all three layers of tears like Freshkote does. It is available OTC though which is great since my insurance will no longer cover Frehskote since it's not FDA approved. Here are the ingredients for anyone who's interested: (It is not yet available in preservative-free vials but becomes preservative-free in the eye.) the box says it is "safe to use as often as needed". Active Ingredients: Carboxymethylcellulose sodium 0.5%, Glycerin 1%, Polysorbate 80 0.5% Inactive Ingredients: Boric acid; castor oil; erythritol; levocarnitine; carbomer copolymer type A; purified water; and PURITE® (stabilized oxychloro complex). May also contain hydrochloric acid and/or sodium hydroxide to adjust pH.

I also found out that unlike most people, my upper tear ducts are larger then my lowers. I already have the lowers plugged and he has recommended that I have ALPO (Argon Laser Punctal Occlusion) on my uppers. A few years ago I had upper plugs as well, and had over-tearing in my right eye so that is a concern of mine if I were to get cautery. Because of this, he put in dissolvable plugs in my uppers so I can see how it would be for me now & to get a feel for how my eyes would react after having the laser closure on my uppper tear ducts. Has anyone had the Argon Laser used on them? Thanks!

I also mentioned the success others on the board have had with Trueye contacts and I have a sample to try. I will wait to test them out until later next week when I know that the temporary upper plugs have dissolved.

It was nice to hear that my eyes are finally improving a bit after all these years. (I think he is the 7th doctor I have seen over the past 9 years.) Anyway, I just thought I'd share.

Nice to know that you're making progress !! I also found that hot compresses don't help much, Are you taking Omega 3? I've been on it for a year but I don't see any noticeable difference. However, I know Omega 3 does other benefits to the heart so I continue.

Comment

SunshineinCalgary - no, I don't take any Omega 3 at all now. I took it daily for 5+ years and never saw or felt any difference so I stopped 6-9 months ago.

Comment

Glad to know you're finally getting an improvement, it's frustrating. It's been 7 years since my diagnosis and the only thing that helped me at all was a corneal debridement but that was for just 2 years. I tried the plugs and they drove me nuts, my eye doctor finally agreed to remove them only after I got an eyelid infection, that was also the last time I saw her. Perhaps it's was my comment, "Yeah if you weren't going to remove them I'm going to shove something up you...." She sent me a nice letter telling me that she felt like our relationship as patient/doctor wasn't healthy. I had another corneal debridement 2 weeks ago and sad to say the vision is actually worse, especially with the fluctuations. I will have to try the Refresh Optive Advanced. I only spend about $200. a year on eye drops, what's another $10-14. bucks?

Comment

bodybuilder1958-so sorry you're not having any improvement after the debridemene this time. I'm hoping they feel better soon.

This whole eye stuff is a real PITA. Literally and figuratively! I'm testing out the contact lenses and surprisingly they feel great - but - I must need bifocals! I realize now that I would look outside of my eye glasses to look at things closely, and with these lenses in, I can't see up close... It's always something I guess.

Adding on: It's the evening now and could only wear the contacts for 4-5 hours comfortably. So....I'll have to stick with my glasses as I suspected.
          Last edited by alisonW; 04-May-2012, 16:43.

Comment

Hi Alison,

CAn you tell me a little more about the Trueye contacts? Do they help with dry eyes? I haven't worn contacts since I had dry eye condition.

Also, did you use Restasis or mositure chambers during these 9 years? What would you say is the main contributor to your recovery? Thanks !!!

Comment

CAn you tell me a little more about the Trueye contacts? Do they help with dry eyes? I haven't worn contacts since I had dry eye condition.
              They are supposed to help prevent the eyes from drying out when wearing them. More oxygen gets to the eyes & they're made of a new silicone. Others on the board have had good luck with them. My eyes are really sore today after trying them yesterday.

Also, did you use Restasis or mositure chambers during these 9 years? What would you say is the main contributor to your recovery?
              I did use Restasis for around 3 years & felt no difference. I never tried moisture chambers because I wasn't sure how or if they'd work for me since I have to wear glasses all the time. I assumed most who use them have had LASIK so their vision itself was good and they wouldn't have to wear them on top of regular glasses. Maybe others can comment on this one.

Also, sorry if I mislead you, but I am definitely not recovered. I was just excited to know that my meibomian glands have cleared up a bit and that was the improvement I was referring to. I am hopeful that since some oil is finally coming through I will eventually feel some comfort. As of now, I still feel dry as a bone and am not sure whether or not to have my uppers cauterized like my doc has suggested.

Definitely look at the section on the board devoted to "triumphs' - those will give more hope then my situation right now.

Comment

I am very thankful for your reply ALison. If you ever have success with Trueye contacts, please let me know. I hope your sore eyes will get better, perhaps it takes time to adjust. I notice every time if I try out something new in my eyes, it takes a while to adjust because my eyes are so sensitive now.

I had LASIK but I still need glasses. I ordered WILEY X prescription glasses (wrap around on the front and on the sides) If they work for me, I'll let you know.

I know some people also wear onion goggles at home. They have no prescription but if you're at home, it helps with computer use.

Comment

Working...
                X