Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously, does it get any better? A new Blepharitis sufferer.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on being an aunt! And glad to hear you're doing better with the steroid drops!!

Comment

Haven't had any food allergy testing done though... part of me wants to do it, but I haven't been in the mood to ask for it yet. Was a bit put off by my last visit to the allergist where she wouldn't do it - didn't think it was necessary
      Maybe it's serum reactivity that we need. All the derms are telling me that patch testing won't show much because it's not classic allergic topical response so, same, 'it's not worth it'. Moorfields are telling me it's not 'allergy eye', it's hypersensitivity to allergens. Which I'm guessing is type IV, then. Still reading up on Western Blot analysis and ELISA - currently not understanding a word.

Very excited about your Nutrigenomics find, Spmcc. Definitely be following those guys.

Re geographic tongue. I've always been pretty sure some MGD is reactivity to products of biota, and that some MGD is unresolved because of dermatophytes (eg PubMed 'tinea eye'). It's interesting how well Eyeallergykids is doing with adjusting diet for his little son (this has to be the mother of all conversational threads buried somewhere inappropriate - in Dry Eye Polls) http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...3042#post73042.

The Human Microbiome project is so amazing - here's me getting overexcited about it and going on too long in the other thread:

"You might be interested in the US Human Microbiome Project http://commonfund.nih.gov/hmp/. They are mapping the microbiology of the human body - nose, mouth, skin, digestion, urinary/genital - and categorising naturally-occurring symbiotic (sharing lifecycle with us) eg bacteria, fungi. They are looking at the relationship between these microbes and human health. Also how the helpful microbiots and other human immune defences behave when there are disease invaders http://www.hmpdacc.org/.

I would think foods fuel these processes for good or bad and 'health' is a balance. There is currently BBC and newspaper concern in UK about high-fructose corn syrup hidden in most processed foods which you might be interested in (this may be suppressed in US because of powerful food industry lobby) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18393391. Metabolic problems caused by this involve insulin, leptin, fats (produced or processed through organs, as you say).

We know sugars are inflammatory in the immune system, but why? The Human Microbe Project is starting to examine how some unhelpful strains of gut bacteria are unusually increased on this fuel and stomach/bowel walls become inflamed dealing with this, leading to disease and disorder there, and their products pass through into the body where they cause problems. http://www.hmpdacc.org/impacts_health/impact_health.php So, hopefully, investigative science is starting to show us this more clearly.

We also have a problem with processed breads - in industry they use 3x the amount of yeast a normal baker would to get a fast rise, which we then ingest. Many people put this stuff in their stomach every day. One mistake we made going gluten-free was to try supermarket replacement products made with alternative flours but packed with yeast and sugar.

Maybe effects on the eyes are partly through systemic inflammation and changed lipids. We are also feeling her eyes are more comfortable eating more natural seed and nut oils, off dairy (lipids again) - http://www.newscientist.com - milk-fats-clue-to-inflammatory-bowel-disease. I am very keen to get good nutrition for metabolic balance and improve poor LM's skin."

I knew LM wasn't coelic but I knew she had eye and skin flareups on bread and pastries and processed sweet foods - we tested and it was negative but the test only looks for specific elevated serum antibodies to gluten. Which doesn't mean there's not a related intolerance. But I'm thinking the problem is also yeast and sugars. She also pumps histamine on some food triggers, which gives her an impressive and instant red eye flareup (Anthony16 avoids histamine triggers). Now the problem with type IV hypersensitivity and food intolerance (rather than classic allergy) seems to be that the reaction can occur instantly, or a few hours later, or some days later.

Interesting times to live in. Seems like the health food shop assistants may be right about eg leaky gut and the dinosaur docs should not be so scathing. Medical science is on the job. Wow.

Hope you get improvement, Vivian. Have you changed your bedding and pillow in case you're allergic?
      Last edited by littlemermaid; 29-Jun-2012, 22:42.
      Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Thank you, LM, for another informative, interesting and detailed post. Lots to think about. I'm going back to see my GP in a few weeks to talk about the other symptoms I've had going on for many, many years (stomach problems, rhinitis) and see if we can find a way forward. I am definitely feeling that there may be a food issue here.

What I do worry about is how to cut out various food groups without becoming terribly obsessive about food/eating, or losing weight. I'm already underweight and I certainly can't afford to lose much. Have you seen a nutritionist at all? Or just figured things out yourselves? I think I'd really struggle to know what to eat, if cutting out wheat, dairy, sugars etc.

A friend of mine with terrible excema finally found out (through seeing a nutritionist) that she could virtually have it clear up almost overnight by avoiding certain foods. It really was quite extraordinary.

Comment

Docs are all saying they don't know anyone NHS who can help with food intolerance, even for a child, although there's useful advice on how to eliminate foods on the NHS website 'food intolerance' or 'elimination diet'.

There're useful thoughts in this thread http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ht=intolerance I'm with SAAG on the philosophy of cutting out the suspect foods, but with the occasional piece of birthday cake or good quality chocolate etc, as required, and looking for eye/skin improvement with overall change of habits. This makes it not difficult. There are substitutes for everything we're focussing on. But watch the gluten-free breads, they're loaded with yeast and sugars. Non-dairy is easy - if we fancy a bit of cheese, we have goat or sheep's, mediterranean style, soy milk is boring but fine. All our meals are based on veg, pulses, carbs are rice, potatoes, and TBH the cooking's improved - OMG gorgeous curries, mixed salads, corn-wraps, soups, but the best is the mixed seafood risotto LM's dad does. I think good quality salad oils for the MGs, possibly with cider vinegar for fat digestion are important, for some reason. We are big on pesto. Re meat - we're having fish 3/wk, small amount of best quality GB free-range poultry and meat, no pork products, plenty nuts and pulses. Not missing out. I'm not keen on margarine - it looks like fake emulsified fats to me, but might be wrong. Good spreads for a buttery feel are humous, pulses etc.

If you know someone managing diabetes type II, that's pretty much the diet change that's helped us. Without the processed junk and biscuits, we are eating more volume but all good stuff, hopefully packed with micronutrients from the veg, fruit, nuts, pulses. And a lot more international vegetarian and interesting. It feels like the food we should have been eating all these years. LM will not eat or drink sugary stuff anymore because she's had a couple of very nasty MGD flareups with emergency dashes for anaesthetic eyedrops to relieve the burning eye surface after 'sleepovers', if you can imagine the stuff they eat. This is a definite correlation - docs, child, and I are in no doubt about this whatsoever.

Great news about your friend's success with eczema. We also had an interesting chat recently with a doc who found his son's eczema was due to toxic buildup in the lymphatic system.
          Last edited by littlemermaid; 30-Jun-2012, 00:37.

Comment

Thank you so much! Great ideas in there on what to eat - and it doesn't sound hard, if I actually put some time into planning meals... I like cooking and my favourite meals are actually already ones that involve fish, veggies, salad and so on. I eat pretty well but definitely could do a lot better. Don't know anyone with Type II diabetes but will look into the suggested diet, along with the food intolerance guidelines on the NHS website. A website I was looking at recently www.allergyuk.org had some pretty useful info too.

My sister has, co-incidentally, just been diagnosed with MGD - in her case there doesn't seem to be an issue with rosacea, but her diet is terrible. I can't actually even imagine trying to suggest to her that diet may be playing some part (she is very depressed about her problems with food).... she struggles so much with her weight, sugar addiction, constant dieting. It is hard to believe it isn't all having a negative impact on her overall health.

Comment

If you're a bit underweight I'm wondering whether you need to look out for anaemia? We're using Perfectil Hair, Skin and Nails multivitamin + mineral on the basis that it has a picture of a UCL professor on it, and seems to cover more minerals than the multivitamin supplements do. But we don't take it religiously, just when we've got colds, feeling run down etc.

Poor sister. We are looking at taking up water sports like sailing and canoeing this summer but walking in the woods and hills is lovely in this weather. Pub lunch afterwards is not out of the question! Dog-walking is our best incentive.

Comment

Anaemia one of the many things they're testing for in the 'very nearly an armful of' (quoting the nurse) blood taken this week. Results in a week or two. I take a variety of vitamins and minerals depending on whether I remember or not - it's all rather haphazard and I can't say I've ever noticed any difference. I am keeping up with the Omega 3s though.

Your summer sounds great! Liking the sound of the pub lunch best, myself

Comment

If anyone is exploring food and chemical intolerance as contributory to meibomian gland dysfunction, rosacea, and the allergy-like symptoms, and, like us, getting nowhere with docs, the excellent link Unicorn has given us to Allergy UK is absolutely spot on:

http://www.allergyuk.org/intolerance-and-sensitivity 'The following sections will help you to identify other types of reactions that are not true 'IgE mediated' reactions, but nevertheless can produce symptoms that affect your daily life.'

Vivian, Hope all this helps you think about how to nurse your eyes back to health. Do the docs say what's happening to the LASIK flap on your red eye? I think - ask if you are getting sensitive to the eyedrops they are using if both eyes are getting red, and what the alternatives are. Do you suffer in airconditoning at work?
                  Last edited by littlemermaid; 30-Jun-2012, 00:40.

Comment

Hi, this is my first post on here. I found this forum whilst researching my condition! I've got what I now know to be blepharitis and have had this for over 20 years.

I have very little symptoms now and I have actively managed the condition for a long time. I must say that no doubt symptoms and severity are different for everyone but I thought I would share my trials and tribulations!

When I first "contracted" this I didn't know what was going on and my Doctor at the time didn't explain anything to me. It was only upon moving to Australia and seeing a Doctor there that I began to get information.

My eyelids used to be in a terrible state. I was always rubbing my eyes and picking at the crusty sores that would reoccur. It was a never ending cycle. When I think of the time I spent fretting and wondering if I would ever be normal again. To look at my eyes now no one would ever know that I am or ever was a sufferer!

I haven't actually rubbed my eyes now for years! I did sometimes do it in my sleep but I have now stopped doing that also. I must say it has made a lot of difference.

I was given a mild cortisone cream and this seemed like it helped to break the cycle. I have been using these creams for many years now. I only use them very sparingly and mix a drop of sterile water with a tiny bit of cream to make it easier to apply. I don't rub the cream in to the lash line but just short of it. I am not recommending or condoning this cream as it is not recommended for the sensitive skin on the face and as I say everyone's response is different.

I find that a strict regime of cleanliness is essential. I don't use any detergent on my face or eyes, only hot water. I find that once I have washed my eyes any gunk is more easily removed with the aid of a clean damp flannel but very gently to avoid any rubbing effect.

It DOES get better. I wish that someone had told me the facts many years ago.

I recently saw something in the news. A guy with blepharitis claimed to be cured by honey. This made me think and I did a bit of research.

I found that there are a lot of testimonials regarding Manuka honey in particular.
                    I have recently begun my own home trial with some Manuka based hypoallergenic cream and so far so good.
                    It has only been a few days now but I have not used any cortisone cream and my eyes don't seem to need as much cleaning in the morning. I will drop back in and let you know how I get on!

Comment

Hi!
                      Interesting!
                      I have bought manuka honey to eat - but where can you find a cream with it? Any particular brand ?

Comment

I got mine from Holland and Barrett in the UK but I'm sure it is widely available. Each product has a code attributed to it to signify how active it is. I'm still not sure if it will be a viable alternative. I'm going to try and give it a couple of weeks at least.

Comment

Working...
                        X