X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advise

hi all,

i have this situation here with my mgd issue and i hope to get some useful advise from someone here who maybe had the same experience as i have now.
    point is i have been treating the mgd for a real long time now with rather good results.
    current treatment is warm compresses,eyelid hygiene,taking two tablespoons of flaxeedoil per day and expressing the glands twice per week.
    initially all my glands were blocked and they secreted the toothpaste like meibum, if i was able to express them at all.so they were not healthy at all to say at least.
    now after many,many months of treating the glands this way things have improved significantly. no more blocked glands and when i put pressure on the eyelids all the glands secrete a clear liquid oil resembling olive oil a bit.
    what worries me a bit is that i notice a lot of granular particles floating on my cornea after expressing the glands if look very closely with a magnifying mirror. i guess that is not good.
    maybe that is also the reason that despite the significant improvement of my secretions i do not feel any improvement in comfortlevels at all. i am still in a lot of pain.
    what could cause this and what is the best approach to get rid of these particles in the meibum? i guess it is the very last step in the right direction.
    could maybe giving the glands a boost with either low dose doxy or maybe applying topical azythromicine be the solution or are there other options i could try?
    any input is welcome of course! thanks in advance.

patrick...

Oooh, sorry you are still having pain. I don't know about the questions you asked...I haven't even figured out how to express my glands, really. By the way, Dr. Mirjam didn't want me to take doxy until after the summer, because of the risk of sunburn (but really, look outside, there is no sun!!) but the Dr. in the U.S gave it to me so I am taking it now and just make sure I have some sunscreen on my face when i go outside in the sun, and I've been ok. (The rest of my body is covered pretty well with this cool weather!). You might want to ask her again? Good luck figuring out the floating particles....

Comment

same with me. she doesn't want me to start with the doxy until this autumn.
      hmm,i will have to be patient i guess.
      and altough the weather is pretty bad here as you can see i cannot take any risk with this sun burn thing,because i will go to southern europe at the end of this month and i will stay there almost a month.
      it really is very hot over there at the moment,so starting now with any antibiotic wouldn't be very wise i guess.

patrick...

Comment

Doxycycline doesn't cause sunburn. Once the drug is in the skin in some people it can react to light leading to an itchy rash on everything that the sun has hit. That's what it did to me anyway. Perhaps doxycycline eyedrops would work. There is always sun, even in shade, just less strong sun. Whether the doxy causes skin reactions might depend on your type of skin. Scandinavians would have more problems than Italians. Lots of sunscreen might help but that's a guess.

kevino

Comment

Hi kevino,

Thanks for responding.
          I am caucasian,but with the darker type of skin.
          Normally i do not burn all that fast and my skin tends to bronze quickly.
          However,i do not want to take any risk and i am certainly not interested in any itchy rash on my skin during my vacation.
          It already is very difficult to enjoy a vacation in a warm environment with the dry eye issue as it is.
          We decided to start doxy this october. I am very curious to see what effects this drug has on my mgd.
          I will report my experiences here on the forums of course.

Patrick...

Comment

Well enjoy your vacation in the south! I know sunshine does a lot for my mood and feels good on my eyes (as long as there is no wind!) I hope it is a good vacation for you!

Comment

Working...
            X