Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the point of warm compresses if the glands get clogged again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the point of warm compresses if the glands get clogged again?

i get my meibomian glands expressed every 4 weeks or so.. i do the warm compress and massage daily and they still clog up.
    so i kind of dont get the point of doing this daily for years if they just get clogged again/ can someone help?? anybody else go through this
    visous cycle?
    Jenny

I brush my teeth and wash my face every morning even though I know they are bound to just get dirty again

For some people who are prone to inflammation and clogging of the MGs, there is a certain amount of necessary maintenance to be done so that the clogging & inflammation don't get out of control. Might be different for everyone. For some, it's daily compresses. For some maybe it's monthly expression by the dr. For some few it's annual lipiflow, probing or whatever.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

jenny,
      I look at warm compresses as exercise/yoga/maintenance/tai chi for the glands.

Comment

ok so even though i get all clogged up again it is probably helping some or the inflammation would be even worse if i didnt? thanks Rebecca for the teeth analogy.. and indrep for the maintenance...
        Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
          ok so even though i get all clogged up again it is probably helping some or the inflammation would be even worse if i didnt? thanks Rebecca for the teeth analogy.. and indrep for the maintenance...
          I couldn't respond without the quote, sorry. My mgd got better after a few months of really hard times with it...for three weeks I felt good...functional...happy to be normal! but then it came back and I am in a lot of pain again (left eye only). I realize that during the time that I was better, the only thing I did differently was slack off on the compresses. can the compresses really make that big of a difference? and what do you mean by "get my glands expressed"- is this by a doctor or by yourself? should I see something come out? I don't see anything when I squeeze. My dr has told me to squeeze my lids after the warm compresses. my left eye squeaks when I rub it, like stuff is in there. My right eye doesn't. Does none else have this issue? Thanks for any advice and help. I just want to feel better and be a better mom!

Comment

Warm compresses are a good maintenance habit to get into but I am not a big fan of people squeezing their eyelid and looking at what kind of oil comes out.. I think squeezing any part of you eye is dangerous and could make matters worse..

Comment

I find warm compresses just swell the lids even more, and i cant see anything come out either, but will let the eye opth do the expressing so he can see how difficult it is and stop giving me lectures as though i am lazy.

Comment

Working...
              X