This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflexive meibomian gland response?

My left eye has had problems with blepharitis for 20+ years. It's why I can't tolerate RGP lenses. I noticed a blocked duct bulging from the lower left eyelid. From long practice I've found rolling a q-tip over the eyelid does little to relieve the pressure. This time I took a hemostat, pulled the lower lid down to evert the lid somewhat, and CAREFULLY used the hemostat to pinch the gland. The gland released its secretion. But a little while later I noticed viscid material training from four different places on the lower left lid. So opening one gland made several other glands release their material?

kevino

You were able to tolerate everting your own lid with a hemostat?!? Man.

Is what you're talking about a stye?

When I took restasis for the first time almost a month ago, my entire lower lid swelled up something horrible and the inside of my lower lid got blood-red. Now the swelling has gone down but there's one area on my lower lid that remains swollen and it looks like a stye. It seems to have plateau-ed and is not getting better and I'm not quite sure what to do about it.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't tolerate squeezing my lid with a hemostat though.

Comment

No, by pulling on the lower lid it everts enough that I can see the underside. I had 'whiteheads' that told me the ducts were plugged and with the hemostat it got the material flowing. I use the hemostat VERY carefully. Also I had first ground away the sharp ridges. But today I did it again and this time there's been no release of material from other glands on the lower eyelid. I would like to try the same technique on the upper eyelid but haven't figured out to do that yet.

When I'm wearing scleral lenses I can feel the upper lid bumping against the edge of the lens. The same thing happens if I use soft lenses. It suggests I have MGD in the upper lid and that's why I feel the lid bumping against the lens.

The one spot on your eyelid could be a solitary inspissated gland or a sty cooking. I'd probably use heat. In the past I'd microwave a bag filled with corn kernels for two minutes, then hold in on my eye for 5-10 minutes.

I used restastis for over a year; It brought my tear break up time from zero up to 5 seconds. But for the first month or so it was pretty irritating to the eyes.

kevin

Comment

Working...
      X