This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curious as to those who use 50% serum or higher? how much does it help

how much does the 50% or higher concentration of serum help vs. 20% as far as dryness and inflammation??

i am very interested as i am currently trying 20%... also .. does it cost quite a bit more and how many vials of blood are
    drawn in comparison to 20%?

I am looking for literature to support that concentrations over 20% are more effective but cant find any.. the DEWS report slightly
    mentions both concentrations but barely touches upon the dif among the two..

if anyone can help.. much appreciated..
    jenny
    Jenny

I've never been on anything less than 50%. I'm now on 75%. They pull the same number of vials (10) from me but I get fewer bottles of drops (approx 8-9, down from sometimes as high as 14). The number of bottles of eyedrops comes from how much serum they can get out of each vial of blood. The more hydrated I am, the more serum. It's one of the reasons I went up in percentage; see http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ighlight=serum

I don't know if 50% helps more than 20%, particularly since my doctor originally told me to use my serum drops at least 1x / hour so I'd be using them more than the 6x prescribed for many anyway. I haven't seen a difference between 50 and 75 that I'm aware of and my doctor hasn't said anything. The drops definitely have helped the surface of my eyes. I still have very dry days (in fact, I've had a few lately and am pretty uncomfortable) but the serum drops are more about healing than moisturizing.

Comment

thanks again PotatoCakes! i haveonly tried 20%..i wonder why they put u on 50% right away?
      i know with the 20 % they are def more soothing then other drops-i use about 8x a day....
      Jenny

Comment

with 20% should i still be drinking as much water as possible??? i think i do anyway as i ahve sjogrens and who knows cause i am so dry wiht that how much it will help??? i was never told to drink a ton of water??? tx
        Jenny

Comment

I don't think the percentage level should affect how much water you drink. You should drink enough water to be healthy, in general. As far as the drops, being well-hydrated will make the draw less painful and increase the amount of serum in your blood, which should lead to a higher number of eye drop bottles; neither are bad things.

I'm not sure why my doctor put me on 50%. There can be some issues, although rare, with going higher than 50% but the protein deposits that can occur are reversible by discontinuing the higher percentage so for me, there was no reason not to try 75% since I was getting so many bottles out of my draws.

Comment

Jenny, hi. I'm interested in hearing what your experience has been with the 20%. I began this two weeks ago and I was hoping for something stronger ... So I'm kind of disappointed, a little. Also, if you have found a place where they make 50% serum eyedrops in the Midwest, please share. Thanks. ~Gerri

Comment

Working...
            X